Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-01-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Monitor Wont power up

Hello, I have recently built a computer. I have a problem where the monitor stays on standby, and doesn't power up.

AMD 3000
1Gb DDR Ram
350Watts PSU

The CPU cooler powers up, but the monitor doesn't. I have plugged in the 20-pin abd 4-pin PSU cables.

Mazzabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117
Default Re: Monitor Wont power up

First off by mointor do you mean a screen like a 17inch or somthing screen. Or do you mean like a heat mointor or a power mointor or somthing. PLease explain by mointor and gave us more details about the mointor itself.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
Beta Member

(Screen)

It's a Dell 15" monitor which I use with my other computer with no problems. I have also tested this with a 17" monitor and it didn't work.

I forgot to add that I have also tried a new motherboard and the graphics is Onboard.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to Š88

Wow, it seems strange, but seeing as you've tested the problem with more than one monitor and with another motherboard and are still getting the same problems, it seems that it only can come down to the PSU. 350W is good enough to power your setup (seeing as you tried it with onboard graphics) so the problem is that it is probably just acting up on you. It sounds like you'll be needing a new power supply to correct the problem. If by chance you can get your hands on another PSU for free to test, that would be the best route to be sure that you can go ahead and spend money on a new one (and be sure to RMA the one you've currently got).

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lösung!
Š88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
Golden Master

Have you tried installing a cheap video card in there just to see if it will work? Try swapping with a friend or a families PC just to see if it works. If it does, put the video card back in their PC and buy a video card for it. Make sure your onboard video is enabled if you're using the integrated video controller.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:54 PM   #6
Beta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortion88
Wow, it seems strange, but seeing as you've tested the problem with more than one monitor and with another motherboard and are still getting the same problems, it seems that it only can come down to the PSU. 350W is good enough to power your setup (seeing as you tried it with onboard graphics) so the problem is that it is probably just acting up on you. It sounds like you'll be needing a new power supply to correct the problem. If by chance you can get your hands on another PSU for free to test, that would be the best route to be sure that you can go ahead and spend money on a new one (and be sure to RMA the one you've currently got).
Thats exactly what I thought. Im just gonna order a cheap jobby for £10.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:34 PM   #7
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

It would beep wouldn't it if it was RAM?

Hmmm... sounds like the onboard graphics to me if it isn't the monitor.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #8
In Runtime

no.. it depends on what kinda beeping it is.. but i'm pretty sure it's a problem with the GPU. where the hell would you get the idea of it being not enough power being fed to the monitor.. the monitor runs on a seperate jack altogether. JESUS PEOPLE. I had a problem when i tried running my 9700pro (back in the day) on my crappy mobo with a 300watt. It turned out that my video card was giving me the problem. I too wasnt able to get any response on my monitor from the motherboard.

btw.. the BEEPING doesnt come from ur psu.. it comes from ur MOBO. so if anything, it's ap roblem with a component on it. Look up the different beep type signals online. just search on google. Some are like long 3 beeps, some are short 3 beeps, some are 2, etc. and they tell you the symptom. SO gl and and happy gaming.
Ati Radeon x850xt, Soundblaster Audigy ZS 2
Maxtor S-ATA 60 Gig + 200 Gig Harddrives
NEC 19inch 8ms 800:1 ratio LCD1970gx
acekrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:36 PM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to joxley1990 Send a message via MSN to joxley1990

Yeah, if hes using onboard that PSU will support everything. Use a cheapy video card from somewhere and see if that works.
joxley1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:59 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to Š88

Quote:
Originally Posted by acekrn
no.. it depends on what kinda beeping it is.. but i'm pretty sure it's a problem with the GPU. where the hell would you get the idea of it being not enough power being fed to the monitor.. the monitor runs on a seperate jack altogether. JESUS PEOPLE. I had a problem when i tried running my 9700pro (back in the day) on my crappy mobo with a 300watt. It turned out that my video card was giving me the problem. I too wasnt able to get any response on my monitor from the motherboard.
....lol yeah i completely neglected to remember that a monitor has it's own power cord...wow i am an idiot for what i said hahaha. Well im sure everyone has one of those moments. Ok so that narrows things down a bit.

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lösung!
Š88 is offline   Reply With Quote