Monitor/TV resolution/ATI card question

Apo

Beta member
I've got an ATI X1950. Using the Catalyst control center, when I set resolution for the monitor at 1650x1050 (for example), the television (only rated for 1024x768) picture is cropped, overly large for the screen. The television, or 2nd screen is a "clone" of the monitor. I have to re-set the resolution for 1024x786 in order to have the image all visible on the TV. Is there any way to set resolutions independently with ATI's system, or is there a one-button solution than can be set to switch resolutions back and forth?
My motherboard can take 2 video cards, I'm wondering if it's possible to run two distinct cards one dedicated to each video device and settable for that device?

Ideally, like this:

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/113938179

Thanks!

Is there any way to set resolutions independently with ATI's system, or is there a one-button solution than can be set to switch resolutions back and forth?

If you turn off cloning, you should see two monitors located under the video properties panel. Set each monitor with independent resolutions. That should be it.

If you turn off cloning, you should see two monitors located under the video properties panel. Set each monitor with independent resolutions. That should be it.

That works ok for 2 monitors on the same desktop, but the TV is a different story. Your only choices with ATI are cloning or extending the desktop. Turning off cloning means you extended the desktop. So, if the TV is in another room, it does little good as you can't see it when you move something to that part of desktop. In addition, sizing, etc., is needed for video playback, there is no "snap to" perfect fit as there is with cloning. Here is a crude visual representation of the two scenarios:

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/113940176/original

So you want something that'll enable both the monitor and television to display the same information at the same time? Are you currently running dual monitors with that setup? From your pictures, you want the secondary monitor to display the same picture as the television. Is that correct?

Back
Top Bottom