Monitor suddenly went blank. Monitor itself can't be the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never used a PSU tester, and I don't have access to one.

Since the plug is scorched, I'm pretty sure the PSU or mobo is fried.

I do have a spare power supply thats never been used, so for now I think I'll try that unless, for some reason, that is a bad idea.

thanks

Have you ever used a power supply tester before? I have a PSU tester where u plug it into the 20 pin connector and it shows the voltages. I tested a pc with the no video problem and the voltages was good. I wonder if the psu tester is effective at testing the PSU with no load.

David I've used a few before and not all power supply testers are created equal.

An example of a less useful tester is here: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-Tester-2-0-20/dp/B000EF1JGA

We actually have one of these in the shop. It simply turns on a light for each voltage, but it does not measure fluctuations in a power supply. It won't show whether you're getting a steady voltage or not, just that the PSU is dishing out 12v/5v, etc.

We replaced it with a LCD power supply tester which shows the exact amount of voltage and whether the voltage is jumping up and down.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Power...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272656670&sr=1-4

so, I was taking out the old PSU like chaslinux suggested and i noticed 3 pins on the connection to the mobo were scorched.

there was some discoloration to the corresponding connectors on the mobo, but my question is do i just have a blown psu, or is my mobo toast as well? also if i swap out a new psu that I've had lying around, will it damage the mobo/or be damaged by the mobo?

thanks for the help!

Scorched? I'd bet real money if you take the motherboard out you'll find a scorch mark in the same place on the back plate. Sounds like you took a strike to me. Did this go out during a thunderstorm?

so, I was taking out the old PSU like Chaslinux suggested and i noticed 3 pins on the connection to the mobo were scorched.

there was some discoloration to the corresponding connectors on the mobo, but my question is do i just have a blown psu, or is my mobo toast as well? also if i swap out a new psu that I've had lying around, will it damage the mobo/or be damaged by the mobo?

thanks for the help!

ive highlighted everytime you said 'mobo' for emphasis on how reptition is a persuasive technique :p :D

on topic: im willing to bet that you'll need a new motherboard is the processor sockets are 'scorched'. Slight discoloration could be passable, but if theres some serious burn mark im fairly certain its gone.

i dont think a damaged mobo would damage a PSU, and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom