Monitor question

bluenose1940

In Runtime
Hello folks,

I have a question regarding my computer monitor.

The monitor is an HP W2408h and what I am wondering is, does a monitor have to be specifically built to provide 'split screen' options or, can any monitor do it with the appropriate software installed?

The reason that I ask this is because at the moment my monitor operates as a computer monitor for my pc and, as a monitor for my CCTV by way of an HDMI switch and, I am thinking that if I could get it to operate as a split screen, this would be very useful.

Many thanks in advance of any input.

You mean split screen as in setting up multiple monitors? If you do, it only depends on your card's capabilities.

You mean split screen as in setting up multiple monitors? If you do, it only depends on your card's capabilities.

Hello AMD_man, yes what I would ideally like when using my computer is to have a small area of screen, say for instance the top right-hand corner, which would show the image as seen by the CCTV camera.

According to the specification of my pc, the graphics are provided by a 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5770 card.

Thank you for coming in on my question.

Oh so you don't want multiple monitors. What you want to do is have a portion of the (only) screen display one thing and the other portion other thing.

Now I'm fairly sure that's not possible. Even if your monitor had two input connections (for example 1 VGA and 1 HDMI), you'd still have to select which one you want to use. This is just from common sense. Maybe someone with more knowledge about screen circuits can provide a better explanation.

However, you could connect the cameras to your computer and then use software to display the output, so you would have it another window instead of another operating system. Maybe through your LAN you could route the output to your computer through your AP. What CCTV do you have? How do you visualize the output of the cameras now?

Hi again. I suppose the easy answer is to have another small monitor purely for the CCTV. What I have at the moment, as mentioned in my original post is, both the CCTV and the pc are connected to a single monitor by way of an HDMI switch and I just toggle between the two with this switch. Having a small section of the monitor screen showing the CCTV image whilst I am working on other things would be so much easier.
I am using a Hikvision CCTV system, which is very good.

Right, I read how the stuff was connected. I was asking for a model because I want to get an idea of how the whole system works.

What you want to do is not possible, and it's even less possible since both share the same HDMI. If both were transmitting at the same time on the same port you would get screwed up video, if anything at all. The limitation is inherent to the circuit. It's like having two pipes arriving at the same hole, both carrying water and then trying to determine what water came from each pipe.

You're talking about screen in screen. I don't think your monitor has that capability. Not really practical anyway. I have mine all separate.

Back
Top Bottom