Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Default monitor question

this is about a friends monitor.
So he has an Samsund Syncmaster, i forgot which one, its a 17" i think that has a res of 1280 x 1024. This monitor only has an VGA port.
We both have an 8800GT, and i use DVI, and he uses VGA. I know DVI displays better.
When we play games, his looks bad, and we both have it on max settings with the same OS and everything.
Now is that because its the VGA? or the monitor?
or can it even be just the cord?
his screen looks kind of blurry sometimes, and the auto adjust doesnt really help. At my school, they use VGA and a graphics card too (forgot which one) but when on the desktop, it looks better than my friends. My school runs on the same res as my friend, and they also have an Samsung Syncmaster (forgot the model too).
Thanks

Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via Skype™ to CrackerJacker
Default Re: monitor question

I use both VGA and DVI for dual screens. You can really tell the difference in quality just by looking at the desktop... and when you use the converter it looks way worse!

I tested and DVI is like high def. compared to VGA

CrackerJacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Its the monitor, and the link, only thing he could do to get it the same is to buy a new screen
newbie1323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teny View Post
this is about a friends monitor.
So he has an Samsund Syncmaster, i forgot which one, its a 17" i think that has a res of 1280 x 1024. This monitor only has an VGA port.
We both have an 8800GT, and i use DVI, and he uses VGA. I know DVI displays better.
When we play games, his looks bad, and we both have it on max settings with the same OS and everything.
Now is that because its the VGA? or the monitor?
or can it even be just the cord?
his screen looks kind of blurry sometimes, and the auto adjust doesnt really help. At my school, they use VGA and a graphics card too (forgot which one) but when on the desktop, it looks better than my friends. My school runs on the same res as my friend, and they also have an Samsung Syncmaster (forgot the model too).
Thanks
Yeah, it's because his monitor is VGA. The dvi to vga adapter will degrade the image a little as well.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

But my school uses VGA, and uses the DVI converter for the video card, and yet it displays the desktop better than my friends, displays as good as mine even.
BTW the monitor at my school is the SyncMaster 740n. I will try to find out my friends later.
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote