monitor picture not coming on

ppark9689

Solid State Member
I'm troubleshooting a computer and have a monitor I use with my other comp. I hooked up the comp and switched the PSU settings from a low one to higher voltage(?) (Not sure how many volts right now) at the higher voltage my monitor won't show a picture but does get power. At the low setings for the PSU the comp turns and I get a picture but the comp will turn off after a bit.

On the high setting I can't predict logically what is hapenning. Even if the monitor is fed more power than it needs a resistor (I think it's called) should fix it and even that wouldn't affect the picture.

And the low settings problem is probably because there is not enough power to power everything is my best guess.

Suggestions? Comments? Rules I broke?

PS: Sorry no tldr

On low settings the monitor picture comes on and starts to boot sometimes it will go as far as showing the desktop but sometimes it will just turn off. Also almost right after, it turns back on but only sometimes. Maybe it's a PSU issue? Maybe something is triggering the psu to shut down.

If you toggled that switch, congrats, you may now be the owner of a paperweight.

That power switch is ONLY for switching when you are on a 110 volt or 220 volt grid. (i.e. USA vs UK)

I'm a little confused by your original post... are you running the monitor's power from the Computer's power supply pass through (common on some older model power supplies) or are you trying to run the monitor from a power strip where the PC is also plugged in?

Also, what behavior are you trying to troubleshoot, in other words, what was your tipoff that something was wrong?

You're a little vague... can you elaborate?

The monitor is powered separately from the computer, not even on the same strip. The main problem was when I have the switch on 110 it would power on and the OS would boot up but after a while it would shut down and sometimes even power back up.

Thanks for the tip on the switch, but you're saying none of the components are usable now?

It sounds like your computer might have a bad PSU and will need to replace it. Why were you adjusting the voltage in the first place?

It sounds like your computer might have a bad PSU and will need to replace it. Why were you adjusting the voltage in the first place?

Lol Because as much as I would like to think I know everything about computers I really don't have a clue. I thought it might be that I'll try that

Back
Top Bottom