Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Monitor going to sleep

Ok so I had my monitor to sleep after 1 min. I did this because I was going back and forth between it and my laptop at work. Well now I will be using only my desktop but I can't get the monitor to quit turning off every min.

I have gone into the power and set 'Turn off monitor' to never. I have set the ScreenSaver to 'None'. I don't know where else to look for settings that control the monitor?

(XP SP3)

Old 01-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Monitor going to sleep

If you haven't tried this already go back into power options(Control panel>Performance and Maintenance>Power Options) and switch all the times around and hit ok. Open it back up and set it all back to what you really want it.

I've noticed xp doesn't take some settings on the first try every time for some reason.

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO | 4gb DDR3 GSkill | 550W Corsair power supply | AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1ghz(Unlocked 2 extra cores) | Sapphire 4870 512mb | 500gb Samsung |21.5" 1080p Hdmi Dell monitor| 21.6" Samsung monitor | RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WG | Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition
Old 01-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
BSOD

You probably setup the scheme as such. Make sure that it's under the field "when using batteries" or "when on power". That will fix it.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Still goes to sleep. It's a desktop so there are no 'on or off battery' settings.

Monitor sleeps after one minute. I'm going to look in the bios to see if there's anything in there.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
Still goes to sleep. It's a desktop so there are no 'on or off battery' settings.

Monitor sleeps after one minute. I'm going to look in the bios to see if there's anything in there.
Yes there is.

So that's what you're just not seeing. Open up power settings and look before you post. OK? Thanks.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

I did look before I posted. No need to be so sarcastic. No wonder you have negative rep.

Perhaps it's a misunderstanding. If you are refering to the scheme, it's on Home/Office Desktop. I've tried all the rest too.

However, on my laptop it has the same schemes, but each scheme can be adjusted based on whether the laptop is plugged in or whether it is running on batteries. The desktop does not have this feature.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
BSOD

So then adjust them as necessary, whats the problem?
Old 01-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
In Runtime

He's obviously already done that JXi and still seems to have the problem.

A few other things to try:

If you happen to have an extra monitor lying around try it out and see if you get the same issue.

Uninstall the video drivers from device manager and reinstall the latest driver.
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO | 4gb DDR3 GSkill | 550W Corsair power supply | AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1ghz(Unlocked 2 extra cores) | Sapphire 4870 512mb | 500gb Samsung |21.5" 1080p Hdmi Dell monitor| 21.6" Samsung monitor | RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WG | Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition
Old 01-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
BSOD

i think jmcavali is playing everyone like a youkalaylee. He fixed his problem and now he just wants to annoy us. Please ban him.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

The problem is that when they were adjusted there was no difference. It was still going to sleep.

I think you should be banned for being so rude and unhelpful.

Since my last post, I've have solved this issue on my own. I did try another monitor and I had the same results. I found that in my BIOS the video was set to PEG. I don't know what that means, but I set it to Automatic and now it seems fine.

Closed Thread