Monitor flicker...

thefaxmachine

Beta member
As soon as I hit the power button on my computer the screen will automatically start flickering. By that I mean it will blink repeatedly nonstop!!!! I can barely see whats on the screen.
However, if I boot up with the monitor turned off and leave it turned off long enough for the computer to reach the log-in stage the blinking does not happen (well, 9 out of 10 times).
I've tried changing the refresh rate... I get the choice of 60, 65 or 72. But changing these does nothing to abait the flickering.
I've updated my drivers for my monitor (Compaq F1523) and for my graphics card nVidia GeForce 5200. All of which have proved to be of no use.
I have no way of testing out another monitor or mine on another machine ATM sadly.

I'm no computer whizz when it comes to these things but know bits and pieces so any help would be most appreciated as it is driving me crazy...

[PS: I have tried the search function to see if anything similar to my problem is posted here but I couldn't spot anything of relevance.]

Hmm, I've never seen a problem like this before.

Seems to be a problem with the monitor accepting the resoloution and refresh rate the computer boots up on before running Windows with all your settings, etc...

If you go into BIOS whne its booting up. Should be the Del key.

Scan through until you find something about the Video boot device, and which to boot up first.

Try setting if its not already to where your video card is. For instance AGP.

Then save and exit, and try that :)

When did the monitor start doing that? Did you change anything or update any drivers before it started flickering?

It started flickering about two weeks ago. I haven't updated or installed anything new in the last few weeks so I doubt it could be software related.

I've tried restroing my 'puter to previous point but to no avail either.

Back
Top Bottom