Monitor Flashes After New RAM

Unit #134679

Solid State Member
I just installed another stick of PC2700 512MB DDR RAM so I currently have a 1 GB of RAM. Sometimes, I think randomly, the monitor will go black, and continue displaying whatever I was looking at. What is going on and is there any possible way I can fix that?

First off, I'd just make sure you connection is good... Assuming you had to disconnect your monitor to install the ram, something could of not gotten connected all the way back, etc...

Otherwise, I'm not really sure. I don't think RAM would cause that, even if something was wrong(and say it was being shared as well...)

Um...well I'll post if I get any other ideas, but that is an odd problem...

Um...what about trying different video modes, or perhaps run in safe mode...maybe safemode with networking so you can still browse the net while you test(not sure how long it takes before it flickers) This might give us some insite in weither it's a software problem or hardware...

Hey, mine does that too :O

I find it happens if I keep the monitor at 60hz or go above 70 hz, 70's fine for me though (I can see screens flickering at 60)... Don't know what causes it though.

What vid card do you have? I have a Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb... I don't think its the video card though, I really don't. I definetly didn't install anything new before it started happening...

Doesn't seem to damage anything though because it always comes back on, and it doesn't seem to do anything to the computer running, so it can't be a crash...

*KaGe*

First if you havent already, try getting the lastest drivers for your vid card and installing them. If that doesnt work, try flashing the Bios on your Mobo. If that dont work, then Id try to run your gfx card at 4x agp,
and if none of that works, borrow a friends monitor and see if it still hapens. Also plz post ur system specs if you have a mobo with a km266 NB or a km400 that could be the problem, they are very very fininky with just about everything. post what kind of mobo you have also and the model # ill research it. one more thing, are you sure that your mobo can handle PC 2700? and if so can it take a gig of it? its like some nforce boards maybe they have three ram slots that can take pc-3200 but it cant take 3 gigs of it only two... it could be something like that.

Well... I have to run mine at 4x anyways hehe, since it is all the motherboard can handle... for the mo hehe

Yea some of those might work, and I have the latest drivers now, and don't seem to get it :)

*KaGe*

time for an upgrade

Hopefully that stays that way. only 4x on your mobo? you know there are some pretty nice and cheap mobo's on newegg.com that can fix that agp 4x thing like mine, MSI k7n2 delta2 lsr, has nforce2 ultra400 NB and two SATA, and three rammslots, only like 56 US. theres cheaper too...:)

Well I have a GeForce FX 5200 128MB video card and my monitor is at 100hz. Should I lower it to 60 or 70hz? My mobo is able to handle PC2700, all the way up to 2 or 3GBs of it. I have the latest drivers for my video card and I cant flash the BIOS

I changed the screen refresh rate to all the ones the monitor can display, and so far the two best ones are 70 and 60hz, but still flashes randomly but only when Steam is open

Back
Top Bottom