Modding a Dell

My brother owns a Dell Dimension E310. I was thinking about swamping my laptop for his Dell. I hate the processor on this thing. It's not right for me. Since all he does is play light games, I think this would fit him fine. I haven't talked to him about it yet. His birthday is tomorrow. This laptop cost more than his computer although it was bought a while ago. It has more RAM, better graphics card, but a slower CPU.

Now if the trade does happen, is it possible for me to buy a new motherboard and CPU for that Dell? I would like to keep the case and some of the other stuff. Also, I'm not sure which MOBO it has, but if it has support for C2D, I can just get a new CPU for it.

I don't have the full specs, but I know no parts have been added.

Yea you shouldn't have a problem as long as the sockets are the same. If you switch mobos you might need an matx form factor one.

Get on AIM.

you can still open in while it is running. just dont snezze or touch anything lol

Well, I'd rather not. Because it means going underneath the table when my brother is sitting on a chair right in front.

Yeah, you can switch it, but you might have to buy a new motherboard from Dell, which means big bucks. Do some research and see if you can find a different kind of motherboard that will fit it that supports a faster processor. There may be someplace that makes replacement motherboards that will fit it. I don't think that you can just throw any aftermarket board in it.

you can still open in while it is running. just dont snezze or touch anything lol

I don't even know how many systems I've run open and touched while they were running... It's not going to kill it or you as long as you don't accidentally shock it with static.

Yeah, you can switch it, but you might have to buy a new motherboard from Dell, which means big bucks. Do some research and see if you can find a different kind of motherboard that will fit it that supports a faster processor. There may be someplace that makes replacement motherboards that will fit it. I don't think that you can just throw any aftermarket board in it.

Why another one from Dell? Just get a micro ATX mobo that supports a C2D... Try Newegg.com. Yes, you can throw any mobo in there that fits in size, which should be micro ATX most likely if it's a tower, you just might have to do something different with the I/O ports, don't remember if they pop out on Dells or not.
Looks like the I/O shield should pop out though
dimension-8400-rear-ports.jpg

Why another one from Dell? Just get a micro ATX mobo that supports a C2D... Try Newegg.com. Yes, you can throw any mobo in there that fits in size, which should be micro ATX most likely if it's a tower, you just might have to do something different with the I/O ports, don't remember if they pop out on Dells or not.
Looks like the I/O shield should pop out though
Because Dell uses their own type of connectors for the front led's, power button and other things like front audio/usb ports. Plus the holes probably won't line up in the case. Dell has their motherboards custom made for them, thats why they are so expensive. Plus the power connectors are different.

I've been through this with a Dell Dimension 2400 that I was putting a new motherboard in. It turns out that the motherboards for that particular model are hard to find right now because they are in high demand due to the high number of failures. But I did some research and found a motherboard from a different model of dell that was exactly the same but made for a different model. I was able to put it in and it worked perfectly.

To the OP.....thats what i'd do if I were you, do some research and find out if there is a motherboard from a different model that supports a higher processor that will fit in the case you have.

You take the black plastic things off the connectors for the LEDs and power button and connect them 1 wire at a time to any mobo... I've done it more than once when replacing a mobo in an OEM case. USB and audio for front might have to be left off if it's non-standard. Get a new PSU as well if the power connectors are different.

It's really not worth paying so much for a piece of crap Dell mobo when you can get a better one for cheaper that will actually have all the ports and slots you need.

Here's a list for about $340:
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227139
MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130127
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

He'll probably want a graphics card as well, but I left it up to him. You could probably find better parts, I just picked a couple things that looked good and worked together. My brother has the exact PSU though and it works fine.

If all else fails, sell the Dell in full and use that money plus extra cash to build a better system...

Back
Top Bottom