Mobo swap, heatsink mod, and fan control

Mutant Corn

Daemon Poster
I've got an XPS M1210 that I've been having some issues with. (thread) I'm going to upgrade to an NR230/NR231 board, which has a 256MB dedicated graphics card rather than a 64 meg that relies on shared memory. I'm wondering if I should expect any issues with different cable routing or mounting points. I know both boards were designed specifically for the M1210, but it never hurts to ask.

Also, after finding this thread, I think I may put the mod into use on the current board, and the new board if it runs hot as well. Is there any reason I shouldn't?

And finally, like most Dells, this laptop only kicks the fan on full at rather high temperatures. This compy has little airflow and, while apparently having a decent heatsink, needs the fan for it to function. I've found a program designed for Dells that can force the fan to 100%. Will I damage anything by running the fan at full speed all the time? It does support automatic temp control but it seems like a constant 100% would be better when I run games.
edit: Also, both speedfan and this program list a second fan. I'm pretty sure this laptop only has one, but it lists two. When I force the fans to high speed, the main one holds 4000-4200RPM, and the mystery fan holds a steady 922. What are those programs seeing?

im not sure about the other questions but there is no harm in leaving a fan on 100%, except to your ears. if your unlucky enough to have a poorly constructed fan then bearings my go sooner than they were going to.

is there a fan on the north bridge? i remember using speedfan myself and had the same mystery fan.

Back
Top Bottom