Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Mobo/RAM

I have a pc that suddenly showed lots less RAM. Upon inspection I found out only one stick (it has 4 x 2 GB) was working. I was able to take them all out and cycle each one through and it only worked in one slot. Simple solution is a bad mobo so I ordered a new one. It got here and I could only get 2 slots to work at once. It didn't matter which sticks I used. I sent it back and found another one online that was listed as "new" and "factory sealed". It arrived and it has the same problem too. Only 2 slots/sticks work but it doesn't matter which 2. Now I'm just confused. Any ideas?

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Beta Member

That's right borked up. It seems to me a problem with the ram sticks running together somehow. You never tested with another brand or set of ram sticks did you? See if they're in warranty and try RMA'ing them

EasyAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
In Runtime

Default Re: Mobo/RAM

Hmmm, seems to me the memory sticks aren't matched to the mobo's capability. Need mobo brand and model as well as memory brand and model please.
i7-3930K - Corsair H100 push/pull fans - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - 4 x 4GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 - 2 x EVGA GTX680s in SLI - OS, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD - Games, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD - Antec TPC 1200W - Dell 27" IPS 2560x1440 - APC XS1500 UPS - Win7 Ultimate x64
OS-Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

It's a factory built dell pc. Bought from dell a year ago. Replaced mobo with exact matching mobo (both times) however it's out of warranty so had to order online. Have not tried other ram because didn't have any. That's my only thought too.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Baseband Member

Incompatible memory? Did they ever read correctly together?
1computeroutlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

They worked for a whole year without trouble.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

It seems that in all this troubleshooting, the RAM is the common denominator. Try testing with different RAM.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

I just find it super odd that no matter which 2 sticks I use it works, but if I use more than two (3 or 4) it doesn't work. I don't understand how that would indicate bad RAM.

I agree that is the next step, but it just seems odd.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

If you install all 4 sticks, does the motherboard see the slots as populated, like when you use the system scanner tool from Crucial?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

Not sure about that one. It's my mother-in-laws computer and she has another person helping her as well. Not sure what they've decided to do with it. I'll keep you updated.