MOBO question

rdog157h

Baseband Member
I am getting this MOBO Asus M4A785-M Motherboard, and I just found out the processor I am getting can be unlocked to make it a quad core, its a AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition. I am wondering if that mobo will handle quad, I cant tell. Also in the video I saw he said I have to change the bios, he said load the new bios on a usb flash drive and flash the bios, how would I "flash the bios"?

It will handle it, but keep in mind that these cores are often disabled for a reason, and will not always function properly.

ASUS has an easy flash feature IIRC. Put the BIOS on the flash drive, then select it in the menu.

Well in the youtube video the guy had a program that put all four cores at 100% and it never locked up or anything. I know I will need an after market cpu cooler, but it seemed to function well unlocked.

I have the same exact build. You do not need to update the bios unless you're buying it used. I got mine, set it up, and the ACC and unleashing modes were easy to get to. Go to advanced tab, cpu config, enable Advanced Clock Calibration and then unleashing mode. Mine is set all cores to 12% and overclock profile 10%.
But like foothead said, your not guaranteed stability. But if it fails a stability test, the bios lets you turn on just one processor and that might make it more stable.

KEY NOTE!!! You need to upgrade the heatsink/fan. The stock heatsink with that chip can barely handle the dual core. I have the Zalman CNPS9900, I highly recommend it but it's pretty big. Another good one I've heard is the Thermaltake Contac. It's also smaller and cheaper.

EDIT: By "turn on just one processor", I meant unlock one extra processor. So instead of 4 you have 3.

I have the same exact build. You do not need to update the bios unless you're buying it used. I got mine, set it up, and the ACC and unleashing modes were easy to get to. Go to advanced tab, cpu config, enable Advanced Clock Calibration and then unleashing mode. Mine is set all cores to 12% and overclock profile 10%.
But like foothead said, your not guaranteed stability. But if it fails a stability test, the bios lets you turn on just one processor and that might make it more stable.

KEY NOTE!!! You need to upgrade the heatsink/fan. The stock heatsink with that chip can barely handle the dual core. I have the Zalman CNPS9900, I highly recommend it but it's pretty big. Another good one I've heard is the Thermaltake Contac. It's also smaller and cheaper.

Are you happy with your build? I am going to have around 6 gig ram, I will get a new heatsync like you said.

It's not an overclocking board. I had too much Vdroop and it was just a disaster unless I used the OC profiles Asus built into the BIOS. Other than that (and I'm not complaining about 3.4ghz), I enjoy it a lot. I had a problem at the very start, because the board wasn't recognizing my sata hard drives...but it's fantastic, and great in my micro atx

Go with 4 GB RAM.

Dual channel will help speed and you don't need more than that.

I have a 955... a quad core phenom II. love it. I wish it'd OC a bit better but eh... I only paid $250 for it, and that was back when it was coming out.

nbrikha: cores, not processors. There's a big difference.

You know what I meant. I'm kind of in two worlds right now because I'm checking out vid cards and I had stream processors on my mind

Yes I know... there's just a big difference.
a quad processor computer at 3 GHz would pwn a quad core computer at 3 GHz.

OP: You could just buy a 945. Its only like $50 more and when you factor in the cooler, it could be worth it.

You are also guaranteed stability and get a warranty.

Back
Top Bottom