Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Techmaster05 Send a message via MSN to Techmaster05 Send a message via Yahoo to Techmaster05
Question Mobo Question

Hi,

I have a question that I can not answer so hopefully some of you on this site can help me out. I am currently running an Asus mobo from my HP back from 2008 and I want to upgrade to the 780i board from EVGA. However my Vista(64) is an HP version, I guess, and I have been told before that I may have problems with this OS on a different mobo, I was wondering if this is true ?

Also I can only seem to find the audio drivers but not any other drivers for my mobo, would it be ok if I just uninstall the audio drivers and install the new mobo.

I have one more question, would I have to reformat my HDD by getting a new mobo ?

I would not be asking these questions if I bought my OS seperatley, im just worried if I may encounter any problems with the Vista version from HP, the OS is the same, just trying to be careful. Help is greatly appreciated, and if you think you can tell me something else that can help me out, please feel free to do so, Thank You.

Techmaster05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Guru

Default Re: Mobo Question

I think it should work just fine. When you reinstall choose an option to not install all the crapware that comes with it. If there is no such option then you will have to manually uninstall them. If you know anyone with Vista CDs I'd say you should borrow it to install Vista. Your CD should work properly. When you install the motherboard you will have to reformat your HDD. Get new drivers from the manufacturer's website, DO NOT use the current drivers unless you have a dedicated sound/video/LAN card.

JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Techmaster05 Send a message via MSN to Techmaster05 Send a message via Yahoo to Techmaster05

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
I think it should work just fine. When you reinstall choose an option to not install all the crapware that comes with it. If there is no such option then you will have to manually uninstall them. If you know anyone with Vista CDs I'd say you should borrow it to install Vista. Your CD should work properly. When you install the motherboard you will have to reformat your HDD. Get new drivers from the manufacturer's website, DO NOT use the current drivers unless you have a dedicated sound/video/LAN card.
Dang man I really hate reformatting my HDD, I also use my PC for buisness reason so I have a lot of files to always save, guess ill have to be getting ready for it. Thanks for the help bro
Old 04-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Golden Master

Sometimes, not always, there will be conflicts between the old and new mobo drivers, you can often get away with just a repair install (so you won't lose your saved data) if you have problems.

When you replace hardware and reinstall the OS, sometimes you may have to give MS a quick call to prove that you're not installing it on another system. You won't have to buy another copy if you're worried about that
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

hmmm... I guess ill just try to do it without reformating and if i get problems ill just reformat.