mobo or power supply ?

Elisan

Beta member
i had my pc on and noticed it went to idle after only about 3 mins of power as i checked it it wouldnt come out of idle and the mouse and monitor were powered down wouldnt wake up from keyboard so i reset it and it wouldnt boot fans and power came on but no post beeps or hard drive activity so reset it again and from them on all it will do is lights and fans blink on for about half a second then all goes off.

is the power supply shorted out or is my motherboard dead?

motherboard is only a month old microstar kv8 neo with athlon 64 2800+ proc

any help would be appriciated

I suspect the motherboard over the power supply, but it's really hard to tell. Maybe you could find one of thse diagnostic cards?

it sounds like your psu is fine. if the fans spin for a second then it's working, something else is making it shut off. is there a lit LED light anywhere on your mobo, it should be on if it's working and power is connected to it. If you see the led then your problem is probably not the psu or the mobo, but i can't be sure because they never really tell you what the little light means and it could be different for different mobos

Another thing to add to Rizzos comment, is if your Fans are connected to your motherboard, they will turn on even if your MOBO is fried. If im wrong tell me but that is the only thing that i seen turn on. Check your PSU that should be your problem. GOOD LUCK

Back
Top Bottom