Mobo Power

bkd1986

Beta member
My new build is based on an Intel DP55KG mobo that requires 3 power connections (a 24 pin, 8 pin, and sata as a gpu power auxiliary). I have a corsair 650W PSU that doesn't have any 8 pin connections, but it does have 2 4-pins tethered together. Will using these two 4 pin connections do the job, or are the 8 pin psu connections somehow different (am I risking frying my mobo)?

My new build is based on an Intel DP55KG mobo that requires 3 power connections (a 24 pin, 8 pin, and sata as a gpu power auxiliary). I have a corsair 650W PSU that doesn't have any 8 pin connections, but it does have 2 4-pins tethered together. Will using these two 4 pin connections do the job, or are the 8 pin psu connections somehow different (am I risking frying my mobo)?

This will work. The reason they do it like that, a 4+4 pin connector as it is called, is so the PSU will work on every motherboard, but without the need for 2 cables. Some boards have 4 pin CPU power connectors, some have 8, like yours. You can use just 4 pins on the 4 pin board, or stick the 2 4 pin plugs together for it to work on boards with 8 pin connectors :)

Awesome. Thanks a lot. I figured that would probably be fine, but I haven't put together a pc in about 8 years, so I'm trying to err on the side of caution. Time to power this baby up.

Cheers.

Awesome. Thanks a lot. I figured that would probably be fine, but I haven't put together a pc in about 8 years, so I'm trying to err on the side of caution. Time to power this baby up.

Cheers.

Good luck :D

What are the specs of it?

It's been a long time coming. I've been using the same PC I built before I left for college until recently (Pentium 4 based), so an upgrade was pretty desperately needed.

Intel DP55KG Extreme Series mobo
Intel i5 760 2.8GHz 8MB cpu
8GB (4x2gb dual channel) Corsair 1600MHz
eVGA GTX 460 SE
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB
Thermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid-Tower
Corsair TX650W PSU
Win 7 Home Premium

Back
Top Bottom