mobo opinions?

looks really good for the money. that should last you several years, specially if intel just keeps upgrading the bus on there LGA775 rather than building a new one, guess this one is working out. wonder if AMD is going to switch to land grid array?

id say get an nvidia 680i bored
i mean that ones good but the 680i bored in my mind
is the best on the market right now

680is are really expensive. Im getting a core 2 duo 3 ghz on it, 4gb of ram and an 8800 gts

It'll work with 2 video cards, but it won't work with SLI. You need an nVidia chipset for that. It may work with Crossfire, but keep in mind that only one of the PCIe x16 slots will run at x16, the other will run at x4.

680is are really expensive. Im getting a core 2 duo 3 ghz on it, 4gb of ram and an 8800 gts

The board looks pretty decent. You'll be good with 2 cards but not SLI as freestyler pointed out. I will note you'll want a board that overclocks pretty well. Are you picking up a E6850? Cause most of the overclocked 8800 gts's the mild pre overclocked ones will bottleneck the 8800gts.

My E6600 bottlenecks my card until around 3.3Ghzs then the gpu scores level off. Thats the easiest way to tell if your cpu is bottlenecking the gpu. Don't look at the overall bench score look at the SM2.0 and HDR/SM3.0 scores. When they stop going up as you overclock your cpu you know you lost your bottleneck.

Obviously as you keep overclocking the cpu your overall score will go up thats why you need to watch the above.

Also a tip for the 4gigs of ram. I'm guessing your going to be running a 64bit Vista otherwise it will not address the 4gigs. You probally know that but heres the thing. I didn't have this issue myself but alot have so I'll give you a heads up when you install Vista. If for some reason it crashes during the install its most likely not the ram. Vista has a bug that can pop up that it won't address the 4gigs correctly. If you remove 2 sticks then do a install with 2gigs it will run through without a hitch. After you get it installed google Vista 4gig hotfix and download the patch update turn it off and pop in your other 2 sticks and your good to go.

Like I said you may not have that problem. For once that was something I didn't have to deal with. Mine installed with all 4gigs without a hitch :) but I wanted to give you a heads up if you run into a install problem cause thats most likely the prob.

You know, I'd recommend something else. I'd suggest you the board I have. The ASUS P5KC. It has all the features you need plus, you can upgrade to DDRIII at a later date.

Back
Top Bottom