Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default is mixing ok?

well my uncle just bought me a 2 gb ram set (1gb and another 1gb ) and its a brand that im unknown with and has a 5-5-5-12 catency(something like that) and my mobo has a dual ddr2 thingy, so i was wondering can i add my uncles set with my set?

reodan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #2
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: is mixing ok?

Yes you can as long as you have two open memory slots and it's DDR2.

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Yeah you can add em, they just won't be running in dual channel, no biggy.
| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
Baseband Member

so if im hearing correctly im being told that it will go in my mobo without messing it up but it wont read all 4 of em and just 2 of em,right?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

It will see all 4 sticks.

He was saying that they wont run in dual channel mode. Which is no biggie, you wont see much performance difference between dual channel and single channel modes anyway.

Depending on the motherboard, 4 sticks of memory will run in dual channel. Just need to check your motherboard manual to make sure.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
It will see all 4 sticks.

He was saying that they wont run in dual channel mode. Which is no biggie, you wont see much performance difference between dual channel and single channel modes anyway.

Depending on the motherboard, 4 sticks of memory will run in dual channel. Just need to check your motherboard manual to make sure.
Yep, thanks for clarifying my above statement for me , sorry if I confused at all, the four sticks will work fine, and your system should read 4 GB, though windows XP can't effectively use that much memory, now if you have Vista, that's a different scenario.
| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
Baseband Member

o i c thx
Old 05-02-2007, 08:05 AM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchi55 View Post
though windows XP can't effectively use that much memory, now if you have Vista, that's a different scenario.
You can use the /3gb switch inside xp to make it see more RAM, it will only work with programs that are written to make use of this tho.

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote