-Missing OS-

GodPandaman

Solid State Member
I am using an Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop running BIOS version 2.6.3 and I accidentally reset the bios to the setup defaults. Now whenever I boot up the computer, It states that I have a missing operating system. How do I configure it to load my OS?

The order I had it in is Hard Drive, USB Storage, CD-ROM Drive, Removable Devices, then Broadcom PXE. There is still no difference (but thanks for trying).

Last edited:
Yes, under the boot tab in expanded view it says it is Hitachi HTS541612J9SA00-(S1) and it is also listed under Fixed Disk on the main tab with the same name.

What operating system did you have on there to begin with? Also, how did you accidentally reset the BIOS to setup defaults?

I believe it was originally Vista (it has the sticker), but i received the laptop from a friend running Windows 7. I accidentally reset the BIOS when i attempted to boot Linux from a flash drive in BIOS, but hit F9 (reset to default) instead of F10 (save and quit).

Resetting to default shouldn't make the OS disappear. Booting Linux might have, though. You have a few options.

If you don't care about what's on there, you can format and install the operating system of your choice. This is the easiest thing to do.

Or, you could use a Windows 7 installation disk to repair the Windows installation to be able to boot. This is more involved.

If you do care about the data, you can recover the data then format and install the OS of your choice.

Back
Top Bottom