Mirroring HD from 1 Computer to Another.

hitmanwa

Baseband Member
At work we have a system that is possibly on it's last leg. I think it has Windows 2000 Server on it. It does have Wonderware on it that they use...for something. Anyhow, my question is... Can you mirror the hard drive and stick it into another system and it run normally? I'm sure drivers will have to be updated and what not but I was wondering if anyone could clue me in as how this would work if it's even possible.

Thanks,

I think it has Windows 2000 Server on it. Can you mirror the hard drive and stick it into another system and it run normally? I'm sure drivers will have to be updated and what not but I was wondering if anyone could clue me in as how this would work if it's even possible.

It's possible, but legally you may get your company in hot water. Check your company's Windows server licensing to see if it allows you to install on multiple systems.

Obviously if you switch the motherboard with an identical board (and other hardware) you'll have less problems from a technical standpoint.

There are lots of cloning solutions out there: Acronis, Norton (both commercial), G4L (Ghost for Linux - which also does NTFS), G4U, etc. There are a couple of open source CDs on distrowatch.com with more complete cloning solutions if you want to go the open source route.

Thanks so much for the reply.

We can install on multiple computers. I had planned on using acronis but have both it and ghost. I've used both but never for this purpose. I'd like to use identical hardware but it's not possible as the system that's currently being used is 8 years old. At least I highly doubt I can find an identical 1.

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom