MicroSD 8GB help needed.

sharkhead

Solid State Member
I'm using Nokia 2700c. I was told that my expandable external memory is only 2GB. I had a 1GB card which I used. Then I got a Transcend Micro SDHC 4GB card from a friend of mine. It worked perfectly and even today I'm using it. I got 421 songs 12 movies and few photos and other videos. All the movies were of .mp4 format and worked perfectly. To be frank, my greed increased so I took a 8GB card from my friend. It was of Nokia. No specific company was written on it. It worked perfectly fine. I had almost filled it 7.3GB with movies/tv series stuff. It worked perfectly for more than 2 months.Then I decided to buy one for myself and bought a Transcend Micro SDHC 8GB card. I transfered all data and was using it very cooly. No trouble.
But once when I connected my phone to computer through OVI suite. It took time for detecting(which it every time takes) almost 30 seconds. Till then I resumed game(gta sa) which I was playing. After sometime the USB ding noise came so I minimised the game. My browser(chrome), photoshop CS5 , OVI suite and game were running in behind. I started my explorer for entering memory card but it was not responding. So I started task manager and saw the H: drive( memory card) not responding. SoI hit the right click and "go to processes". Then after that I right clicked on the process and selected "end process tree" and ended it. And disconnected phone.
After that, to reduce memory usage I closed browser, photoshop and my game and connected my phone back to computer. Nothing happened, then I disconnected phone and tried to check the card from phone. It didn't show the name and showed the default name of memory card. So then I checked options for details and then it said "not available". I think it lost or corrupted few files when I hit the "end process tree".
Now I've lost all the data.
I asked a tech guy whos column comes in paper. He said to try working from a card reader. So I bought one and tried it. When I insert the card reader it says "please insert disk in drive h:"
Anyone has any idea what should I do now? I need the data. Other than movies and songs there was some important data which will fail me in my next exams if not recovered. All pdf files will be lost.
Can anyone please help me?

Sadly, you've discovered a downfall to flash devices. Some brands work really well, others are complete crap.

If you're to the point that the system can't see the device, you might want to try a Linux OS to see if it can see the raw data, otherwise the flash card is hosed, if the card reader can't see it.

Transcend flash memory is pretty much the bottom of the barrel cheapest. Sometimes it's a great deal, other times it's a lemon.

Yea I know it. It was cheap so I bought that one.
Any solution for my problem? My computer is detecting the card reader with the card in it. But when tried to open it says that "please insert disk in drive h:"
That day, when I killed the processes forcefully I think it lost few of its system files.
Are there any hopes for data recovery? I need the data. The card is not important.

Have you tried formatting the card through your computer by right clicking on the drive and selecting format?

That's my next recommendation as well, Linux is great at reading these things because it doesn't care much about the file format since it'll read just about anything.

Oh,
I dont have both of them. And no one will allow me to install on my families laptop. :(
Sorry but, any other suggestion?

Back
Top Bottom