Messed up my own CPU =(

Ambar88

Beta member
My computer began crashing for no apparent reason. I had reason to suspect it was a virus because my anti-virus program also kept popping up randomly saying that it had crashed.

I decided I would try to dust off both my graphics card and the CPU.

Trying to replace the Intel CPU fan, I ended up breaking the little stubs which hold it in place. My computer crashed several times because of course my CPU was overheating. Now when I even force the fan down, it still freezes up.

My question is: should I bother getting a new CPU and stick with the same hardware, or should I not waste my money and just buy a new computer?

Has the overheated CPU messed every other component up? If so, I would rather buy all new hardware than waste money on a new CPU.

Well, you should look into getting a new cooler first as your CPU may be just fine.. That would be your cheapest option.

But wouldn't the high temperatures kill my CPU anyway? I could manage to log on to my profile, but after that it had trouble opening any program and eventually ended up freezing over and over.

well if you dont have proper cooling on your CPU instead of frying it just dont use it till you get another cooler.

But wouldn't the high temperatures kill my CPU anyway? I could manage to log on to my profile, but after that it had trouble opening any program and eventually ended up freezing over and over.

what cpu do you have...? most newer cpus will shut down your system when they get too hot so that they won't fry because of the heat, and no, even if your cpu was messed up your other parts would be fine...

Aftermarket coolers will do just fine for Intel cpu's. Just make sure you get one to mate up with the cpu chip and the motherboard.
Or you could just get your hands on a replacement fan with the mounting kit.

Back
Top Bottom