Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-05-2005, 10:50 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Memtest86 general question

I recently used memtest86 on my ram and got 7 errors. I was just wondering if I should be worried. My computer's been crashing ever since I built it about a month ago, but only when I'm gaming and I'm trying to figure out my problem.

So really my question is, for those who have ran memtest86, how many errors did you get in one complete pass?

If you could include the brand name and size of your ram that would help also.

kvneedshelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:57 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to winterfreshpwnz Send a message via MSN to winterfreshpwnz
Default Re: Memtest86 general question

How did you get it to work??? I downloaded it, extracted it and put it on a disc. When I booted up though, windows booted up like normal. How did you get it to work?

Old 04-06-2005, 12:21 AM   #3
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to res1bxh3

have u done any custom settings or overclocking if not i suggest relaxing your timmings or giving the ram higher voltage or lower the frezuincy it runs at either by seting a divider or lowering your fsb
res1bxh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:57 PM   #4
Beta Member

Thanks, that got rid of my errors and stopped the crashes.

As for winterfreshpwnz's question, just download the .iso memtest86 image (http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip) and burn the image to a cd. Make sure you burn an image and not just write the file to the cd. There are free programs like DeepBurner (http://www.deepburner.com/download/DeepBurner1.exe) that allow you to do it. Then make the cd-rom boot first and your good to go!

Thanks for your help again
Old 04-06-2005, 11:40 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to winterfreshpwnz Send a message via MSN to winterfreshpwnz

OK well that sorta helped, but it still didn't work, can you just give me a straight up clarification on what files you were burning to the disc? Cuz I mean I have extracted the iso to a folder called boot with the img and another file called boot and everytime I burn those files it doesn't work. Are you burning ONLY the img or what cuz this is starting to annoy me now cuz I really need to use it. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:06 AM   #6
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to res1bxh3

u dont extract iso's u burn them straight to cds i think if you dont have a program that can do that theres something called alcohol 120 u can get it at download.com i believe
res1bxh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:16 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

OK, well I tried that to and it didn't work. I downloaded the iso and then used nero to burn it to a disc and it wouldn't load up from boot. So I have no idea what to do.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:38 PM   #8
Beta Member

If you have nero, first make sure its upgraded to the newest version since older versions of nero didn't burn images correctly. Then download and unzip the Memtest86 v3.2 ISO image .zip file from the Memtest website. There should only be a memtest86-3.2.iso file after it is unzipped.

After you've done that, open up Nero StartSmart. From there, go to the "Copy and Backup menu".(Icon has two disks and a safe). From there, click on "Burn image to Disk". Find where you unzipped the .iso image and open it. Choose your write setting and click next a few times and your set to go. Also, if it helps, I used CD-R media to burn the disc.