Memory as storage?

If you think about it, Linux uses RAM as storage. The live versions copy all the information off disc, onto the RAM, allowing you to take the CD out, however, as Kage said, when you turn the computer off, everything is lost.

Kage said:
Yeah, so what would be the point using it as storage?...
I dunno.. to "ohhh" and "ahhh" and the increadably 1337 loading times? I would never store sensitive data that is not already on the hard drive.. just data I want to play around with at an extremely fast speed.

Yeah, but some of those look like shareware. Do you have the budget to pay $49 for an XP/2000 version? If you do, have at it. The only pieces of required information are a name and email address. You might also want to fill out the OS. I didn't select one and it forwarded me to the Win9x versions. Hope this helps.

Hmmmm, I believe RAM can be used as storage. The only problem is this. Imagine having an 80GB RAM for a hard drive. Do you realize how expensive this would be? The price would be so high that it doesn't become feasible.

I'm thinking of flash drives, like the ones we use for our PDAs, digital cameras, cell phones, etc. My cell phone uses a microSD drive on a tiny little disk and it is used as a STORAGE device. IT even says that in the instruction manual, lol. So if they can use flash ram as a storage device, I see no reason why we can't use them as permanent storage for a regular computer. My PDA use a SD drive and it's been sitting in there for the last year and a half collecting dust. The data are still on there just it would be on a hard drive. I accessed it like a few weeks ago and the data are still intact. Data access time would be significantly improved. We're beginning to see a shift in memory storage as more and more device are using flash drives. This is key in future development. What's really neat are these little mini or micro SD drives come with adapters so you can put them in standard SD drives to access them. Anything is possible, lol.

MikeReiner said:
Is there a good program out there anywhere that lets you use system memory as a small storage device (or so windows would classify it) in windows? like have it be a removable storage device or something?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, i'm kinda handicapped right now.
yea you can, but if you turn your computer off than you lose the information... Ram is not like rom...

You can back up the data with the program I linked to, and then get it to automatically load the data to the RAM from the hard drive.

And of course RAM is not like ROM - RAM is volatile, but ROM cannot be edited or written on.

X800 said:
yea you can, but if you turn your computer off than you lose the information... Ram is not like rom...
Yes I know. Ram's data is held my electricity.. and should that electrcity go away, well... you get the idea.
prosser13 said:
You can back up the data with the program I linked to, and then get it to automatically load the data to the RAM from the hard drive.

And of course RAM is not like ROM - RAM is volatile, but ROM cannot be edited or written on.
Yeah, ROM = Read Only Memory, go figure.

Back
Top Bottom