memory stick probs

billozz

In Runtime
hi guys i bought a memory stick recently, it works on my wifes laptop but will not work on mine i have tried 2 of them now ( the company concerned sent me a replacement when the 1st one wouldnt work ) both the same, do i have to accept that they just wont work on my computer. incidentally they dont show up anywhere, disk management,computer, i get a noise when i plug it in acknowledging that its been plugged in and a noise when i take it out, ive tried plugging it in and rebooting, how come they will work fine on some puters and not others
thanks
Bill

The problem could be two things.

First the USB ports could be bad on your laptop. The second possibility is that your install of windows is corrupt. I've seen both cause your problem in the field, with bad USB ports being the most common.

i apprecaite the reply but other items work ok such as printer scanner and other memory sticks, how do i check if windows is corrupt?
thanks
bill

Alright well then that does make it less likely that the USB ports are in fact the problem.

I'd do three things to check (and hopefully fix) corruptions. The first two require command prompt. Start by running checkdisk. To do this type chkdsk /r in command prompt. A reboot will be required to actually run the scan. This can take a while to run as total capacity, how much is current saved to the disk, the disk's performance and corruption level (if any) all play into the scan time.

Second I would run system file check. To do this, in command prompt type SFC /Scannow. This again can be very fast, or very long. Some times it does ask for a windows disk if an important file is damaged and can't be repaired and needs to be replaced.

When all of this is done, I would go to the manufacturer's website to get the latest chipset drivers. If you already have the latest from their site, reinstall them.

Most likely a USB driver issue or bad USB port if your external flash USB drive is not working on your computer but is working on another computer.

* How large is the external USB drive?
* Is it being plugged into USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port?
* if you plug something else into that same USB port on your computer, does it work?

Answer these and I can further help you.

Last edited:
32gb
usb 2 i think
yes
i ran chkdsk and sfc as per celegorm's suggestion and nothing came back wrong as far as i can see and as i said above other things do work in that and all other ports onmy laptop
thank you
Bill

Shut down your PC
Remove battery (if present)
Unplug from the wall
Press the power button a few times then hold for 5 seconds
Plug the PC back / put battery back in
Power on and try again

This may help.

Last edited:
Have they ever worked on your computer ?, I know sometimes mine can take a while to see the usb, how long have you waited before pulling it out ? also simple and obvious thing to try is to try the stick in another USB socket (but im sure you have already covered this).

What brand USB stick is it ?

this stick will not work on my puter, but will work on ohters, other stciks will work on my puter, i have waitd ages before removing it and yes i have tried other sockets
thanks
Bill
ps dont know the brand

32GB is most likely the problem. There is a Windows Update that addresses the problem with some computers not reading 32GB or larger memory cards.

Run a windows update and install that update. Then come back here if you still have the problem.

Back
Top Bottom