Memory questions

Enix82

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any links to guides concerning memory issues?

I'm not a huge noob when it comes to memory, I know the diff between compatibilities such as 184 pin, PC3200 DDR etc. One thing I'm not very sure about are timings and voltage settings.

I've heard a couple of horror stories where an individual places a stick of compatible ram, (i.e. PC3200 512mb 400mhz DDR 184pin) in a system and something gets fried because of the voltage setting is not correct. I know most DIMMS have a sticker or some type of documentation on the stick that displays its info and even timing but I have not seen voltage settings.

Most mobos do this automatically, ya only need to worry bout this if your wanting to overclock etc. Just do a search for overclocking and ya should find loads of info

What m/board do you have? Have a look in your bios, there is usually an "Auto" option for ram voltage. Leave it set at that unless you wish to overclock your ram (as stated above)

Recommended ram timings can be found on the manufacturers web site and may vary from the timings automatically subscribed by the m/board. e.g. my board gives my ram (DDR400) timings of 3-4-4-8 yet the manufacturer says it runs at 2.5-3-3-7 and after a quick trip to the bios it's now running 2.5-3-3-7

Back
Top Bottom