Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-06-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
In Runtime
 
TK MODS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 136
Default Memory Question

I am home for the summer and my father has been bugging me about his computer in his office running sluggish. Upon further inspection I found out that his Dell Inspiron 531 has 1gb of ram (running vista). I searched online and dug up the Owner's Manual; the manual says that the motherboard is capable of using up to 4gbs of ram. The speed that the manual says is 667 or 800. Can anyone point me to some choices of ram that would work with his computer, that would be great! Oh, and it doesn't have to be the most expensive just something that will run.

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Antec 900|M2n32-Sli nforce 590|Athlon 64x2 5200 2.6GHz|320GB|XP|610 watt silencer|2 Gigs Crucial|
TK MODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #2
In Runtime
 
AmD~pWnD~yOu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 221
Default Re: Memory Question

Here ya go.GL

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231136)

ps. its not always the hardware thats the problem.Try and run a computer repair software(Advance System Care) and/or spyware/virus scan.Also Defrag, cant stress this enough.
__________________

AmD~pWnD~yOu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
Daemon Poster
 
VINMAN46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,123
Send a message via AIM to VINMAN46
Default Re: Memory Question

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148212
VINMAN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
Indigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,866
Default Re: Memory Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmD~pWnD~yOu View Post
ps. its not always the hardware thats the problem.Try and run a computer repair software(Advance System Care) and/or spyware/virus scan.Also Defrag, cant stress this enough.
Except in this case, it most likely is. Great idea in general, but his dad is running Vista on 1GB of RAM. Of course it won't be fast. That's like asking XP to run with 64MB of RAM. It'll run, but good luck getting anything done.


In terms of RAM, the Crucial Vinman posted is inexpensive and is usually the same type that OEMs use in system builds. That set should take the PC to max supported memory and perform well.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Memory Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINMAN46 View Post
I'd go with this one, it's cheaper and Crucial Ballistix is great ram.
__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
In Runtime
 
AmD~pWnD~yOu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 221
Default Re: Memory Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by og View Post
Except in this case, it most likely is. Great idea in general, but his dad is running Vista on 1GB of RAM. Of course it won't be fast. That's like asking XP to run with 64MB of RAM. It'll run, but good luck getting anything done.


In terms of RAM, the Crucial Vinman posted is inexpensive and is usually the same type that OEMs use in system builds. That set should take the PC to max supported memory and perform well.
I ran vista on 512mb, and it ran fine.and for the ram, its better to utilize the 4 slots, 2x daul means it can spilt the work on 4 sticks at 800MHz, instead of 2 slots at 800MHz.The point is you will get better performance out of 4 1gig sticks than 2 2gig stick.
AmD~pWnD~yOu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
In Runtime
 
TK MODS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 136
Default Re: Memory Question

Thanks everyone for the help! Sorry I couldn't reply sooner. I did find out after more digging that the bios setting does not let me change the voltage for the ram so I am stuck at 1.8v is that a problem?
__________________
Antec 900|M2n32-Sli nforce 590|Athlon 64x2 5200 2.6GHz|320GB|XP|610 watt silencer|2 Gigs Crucial|
TK MODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
In Runtime
 
AmD~pWnD~yOu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 221
Default Re: Memory Question

np,GL!
AmD~pWnD~yOu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #9
Daemon Poster
 
VINMAN46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,123
Send a message via AIM to VINMAN46
Default Re: Memory Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmD~pWnD~yOu View Post
I ran vista on 512mb, and it ran fine.and for the ram, its better to utilize the 4 slots, 2x daul means it can spilt the work on 4 sticks at 800MHz, instead of 2 slots at 800MHz.The point is you will get better performance out of 4 1gig sticks than 2 2gig stick.
where did you hear this nonsense
VINMAN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #10
In Runtime
 
AmD~pWnD~yOu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 221
Default Re: Memory Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINMAN46 View Post
where did you hear this nonsense
I still have the computer.This is the computer, they still sell at tigerdirect.-(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Sku=E400-W3611)
Like i said ran just fine on 512mb.Cuz i know you aint talking about the "4 sticks better than 2".
__________________

AmD~pWnD~yOu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0