Memory Question

TK MODS

In Runtime
I am home for the summer and my father has been bugging me about his computer in his office running sluggish. Upon further inspection I found out that his Dell Inspiron 531 has 1gb of ram (running vista). I searched online and dug up the Owner's Manual; the manual says that the motherboard is capable of using up to 4gbs of ram. The speed that the manual says is 667 or 800. Can anyone point me to some choices of ram that would work with his computer, that would be great! Oh, and it doesn't have to be the most expensive just something that will run.

Thanks!

ps. its not always the hardware thats the problem.Try and run a computer repair software(Advance System Care) and/or spyware/virus scan.Also Defrag, cant stress this enough.

Except in this case, it most likely is. Great idea in general, but his dad is running Vista on 1GB of RAM. Of course it won't be fast. That's like asking XP to run with 64MB of RAM. It'll run, but good luck getting anything done.

In terms of RAM, the Crucial Vinman posted is inexpensive and is usually the same type that OEMs use in system builds. That set should take the PC to max supported memory and perform well.

Except in this case, it most likely is. Great idea in general, but his dad is running Vista on 1GB of RAM. Of course it won't be fast. That's like asking XP to run with 64MB of RAM. It'll run, but good luck getting anything done.

In terms of RAM, the Crucial Vinman posted is inexpensive and is usually the same type that OEMs use in system builds. That set should take the PC to max supported memory and perform well.

I ran vista on 512mb, and it ran fine.and for the ram, its better to utilize the 4 slots, 2x daul means it can spilt the work on 4 sticks at 800MHz, instead of 2 slots at 800MHz.The point is you will get better performance out of 4 1gig sticks than 2 2gig stick.

Thanks everyone for the help! Sorry I couldn't reply sooner. I did find out after more digging that the bios setting does not let me change the voltage for the ram so I am stuck at 1.8v is that a problem?

I ran vista on 512mb, and it ran fine.and for the ram, its better to utilize the 4 slots, 2x daul means it can spilt the work on 4 sticks at 800MHz, instead of 2 slots at 800MHz.The point is you will get better performance out of 4 1gig sticks than 2 2gig stick.

where did you hear this nonsense

Back
Top Bottom