Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-16-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Memory Question

I have a pretty large hard drive on my laptop with about 450 gigs. I have about 250 of those gigs apparently USED and I don't know what the heck is holding all my memory cuz I'd like to delete it.

Is there any way to do a check to see where all the big gobs of memory is being used at? I've been manually checking all my folders but I can't find where this huge ass cache is being used up at. I've checked all the common folders and started to prune the Program Files and Windows files and still can't find anything. I should only have like 30 gigs maximum of used disc space taken up instead of like 250.

Any tips?

andrewmoquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:27 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Memory Question

Pictures? Videos? Music? Downloads?

Maybe you have lots of programs installed?

I don't know how exactly to do a SIZE check, but you could possibly just check all your program files and see what's up. Look in your Recycle Bin, My Documents, etc. too.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Comp_Pro

If you have network sharing enabled check the shared folder maybe someone on your network is using your harddrive to store there files
Old 07-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Baseband Member

what OS are you using?

I know when I went from my old system: (Dell) windows XP 80g HD I had it about 3/4 of the way full.

now my new system: (custom) windows vista ult. 64bit, 1TB HD. only been using it for about 2 months, carried over the exact same amount of pics / music. and installed Crysis. I have used up 200 GB of my hd.

I couldn't believe that I ran for 3 years never filling a 80gb and now BEFORE i go on my next music splurge I have almost 3 times that filled up. I just assumed it was vista being so much larger then xp.
woody84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmoquin View Post
I have a pretty large hard drive on my laptop with about 450 gigs. I have about 250 of those gigs apparently USED and I don't know what the heck is holding all my memory cuz I'd like to delete it.

Is there any way to do a check to see where all the big gobs of memory is being used at? I've been manually checking all my folders but I can't find where this huge ass cache is being used up at. I've checked all the common folders and started to prune the Program Files and Windows files and still can't find anything. I should only have like 30 gigs maximum of used disc space taken up instead of like 250.

Any tips?
There are hidden folders in your system. One of the hidden folders is the system restore folder. This folder has snap shots of your system and it could take up a lot of space.
david90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to essentialx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by david90 View Post
There are hidden folders in your system. One of the hidden folders is the system restore folder. This folder has snap shots of your system and it could take up a lot of space.
You can go to Start > My Computer > Properties > System Restore and either drag the slider to min or check the box to disable it alltogether. But if you mess something up, you can't go back if you disable it.