Memory question

babywipes1

Solid State Member
I currently have a stick of samsung 256 mb pc2700 ddr at cas 2.5, and I want to add another stick. I have 3 options, all of which are the same price:
1) I could add another stick of the same exact samsung memory
2) I could add a stick of 256 mb pc3200 ddr at cas 3
3) I could add a stick of Kingmax superram 256MB PC3500 at cas 2.5

Which Module should I get? Will there be problems if I mix different types of ram? I heard that it will work, but at the slower speed. I figure I should buy the faster one because it will generate less heat and fatigue - is this true? Thanks for any help.

You should never "mix" ram if it can be avoided. try to go with the fastest ddr memeory you can afford and find-you can mix ddr and sdram though access times will drop some.-if you use xp or 2000 the more memory the better-Ive found with 98 and mill more than 500 megs actually seems to make things worse. poorer memory management

still confused

I'm still confused. so does that mean I should add the same samsung pc2700 or the kingmax pc3500 to my existing samsung memory?

You won't generally get any noticable problems with different speeds of RAM; but it will only operate at the slowest speed. I would recommend the first one because its cheaper, and all the others will work at the same speed anyway. Unless one day you plan to upgrade the old stick and buy a new PC3200 or even PC3500. If you may do that then it would be advisable to get the level you plan to upgrade to at a later date so that you don't have to replace both sticks to get the desired speed.

If you are useing pc 2700 right now then stick with pc 2700, I you put in a stick of 3200 with 2700 the 3200 will clock itself down to 2700 speeds, so instead 400 mhz it will be running at 333 mhz

Back
Top Bottom