Memory/FSB/CPU

bolton1202

Solid State Member
Does it make sense to get a CPU, FSB, and Memory that all operate at 1333 ghz?

I'm building a gaming pc and right now the FSB and CPU are going to be 1333 anyway, but I have read that ddr3 does not have much of a performance increase over ddr2, so I was thinking of going with ddr2 1066.

That being said, would there be any notable advantages to having all 3 operate on the same frequency of 1333 GHz?

I think I've said this before but there is no point in using DDR3 in an Intel platform because of the limitations of the FSB. The FSB severely limits bandwidth and bottlenecks high speed RAM. FSB functions like this: FSB 400 = 12.8GBs of bandwidth. DDR800 = 12.8 GBs of bandwidth you get the idea. That's why it's not worth going DDR3 until Nehalem or AMD start supporting DDR3.

I can't believe I quoted myself...

You'll never buy anything that will run at 1333GHz

You'd be hard pressed to OC DDR2 1066MHz (533MHz) to DDR2 1333MHz (667MHz)

They'd need to be good overclocking modules.

There are theoretical gains to be made by running memory at a 1:1 ratio with the FSB but you'd only notice the difference in benchmarks and not real life.

There are theoretical gains to be made by running memory at a 1:1 ratio with the FSB but you'd only notice the difference in benchmarks and not real life.[/QUOTE]

Words right out of my mouth ATF. I just can't get over people bragging that they had their system OC'd to blah and blah for 19 gazillion hours and stable and yada yada yada... The bottom line is that if you speed it up a bit to what you are happy with and it's working good, then you are doing fine. I think sometimes some people might misinterpret things that EXTREME OC'ers do (people that don't care about what the system does as long as they have the highest OC they can have) with what HOBBY OC'ers try and accomplish(who just look for a little boost in performance with their systems). 2XXXX on 3dMark really doesn't mean jack squat unless you are going for bragging rights. Don't go and pay big bucks if you can pay, well, little bucks for something ALMOST as good that you won't notice a real performance loss. That's just how I tend to look at OC'ing, but I know there is more than one side to this and understand that as well.

Back
Top Bottom