Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #11
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
You have way too many instances of Google Chrome running, what is going on there?

Also, I see you have Norton's AV-- a notorious resource hog. I'd switch to Avast! or Microsoft Security Essentials.

Spiceworks is a network monitoring tool Are you aware that you have it installed?

Do you have a Creative Labs device that you plug into your computer? If you no longer use that device, then you can get rid of those.
Chrome spawns additional threads when you have multiple tabs open. This is normal behavior of Chrome. Those threads will remain even with one tab open, just to handle the additional overhead of more tabs should you open them again.

Norton's AV is likely the culprit behind excessive memory usage, and Spiceworks could be part of it too, but only if he has a large home network that he's trying to monitor and scan. Here at work, where there are hundreds of devices, Spiceworks only uses 365MB of RAM. At home, Spiceworks uses 209 MB of RAM on my server.

Creative's software, as much as I dislike their stability issues, is likely not the memory hog.

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
BSOD

Try uninstalling programs that you never use. This does seem strange for a 4gb RAM though.

Another thing how do you check how much you are using?

clacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by og View Post
Creative's software, as much as I dislike their stability issues, is likely not the memory hog.
I agree that Creative's is not likely the problem, but I am opposed to their installing resident programs to remind you to register their products. Seriously, I've had malware that was less annoying...
Old 08-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
Fully Optimized

I have an X-Fi and the software has never given me issues like that. Just tell it to never remind you again, delete the desktop icon and it's gone.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #15
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by og View Post
I have an X-Fi and the software has never given me issues like that. Just tell it to never remind you again, delete the desktop icon and it's gone.
Sadly, it wasn't quite so simple for the Creative Zen... I had to hack the registry to get rid of the stupid thing... I had already registered it, which was the stupid part.