memory

EricM

Daemon Poster
memory and other related issues

ive got a few questions on memory. first off, are dual channel memory kits essentialy just the same as buying two of the same single sticks? (ex. 2gb kit the same as just buying two 1gb sticks). and a motherboard usually has 2 slots for dual channel... so will any sticks u put in there run with each other or does it have to be a dual channel kit. sorry if i dont make sense but i tried to word that as best as i could. and between [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] OCZ EL Platinum PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL2-3-2-5 and [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] OCZ Platinum EB PC4000 2GB 2X1GB DDR500 CL3-3-2-8, which would u go with. The pc 3200 one has lower latency so im thinking that one even tho its ddr400 and the other is 500.[/font]

DDR500 is suppose to be faster but has higher latency than a slower DDR400. I would just get the OCZ Platinum PC3200. You won't notice that much difference.

Yea thats what I was thinking... On a kinda related topic.... Im finally building my new pc.... I am glad i waited that extra month prices have come down on a lot of things!

I'm sure the DDR500 has it's potential, but I rather go for a basic RAM setup and that's the PC3200. 2GB is a lot of RAM and that's already a nice performance boost if you work on the PC a lot. Video editing, music editing, AutoCAD, Photoshop, gaming, etc.

Prices will do down even more if you wait a couple more months, but that's just too long of a wait. I would love to build another computer right now too since I only have this one and the laptop. I want to turn this PC into a so-called "dump" PC where all my junk files, infected stuff, and all other useless stuff goes on. It wiill be like a test PC for "downloaded" executable files.

Then my new rig will be the one that I work on all the time (my new baby) if I ever get more money coming in. I just got my taxes down and getting a lot, but I can't spend it. Too much bills to pay off first. What are your final specs?

Ok I would love to wait a bit longer too for prices to drop but I need this comp now... I am going to do mostly music editing and gaming...maybe watch some movies on it too.. but my final specs are very similar to what I last posted

CPU: X2 4400+
MOBO: DFI Lanparty UT SLI-DR Expert
RAM: the ocz 2gb pc3200
HD: WD Caviar 250GB SATA2 16mb cache 7200RPM
Video card: BFG 7800gt
Sound card : CL X-fi music
Case: NZXT Lexa
Monitor: Samsung 940BF... 2ms 700:1
psu: Ultra X2 Connext 550watts

Speakers: I am going to wait for the z5500s to come down in price and get those!

Anything I shoulld change?I was debating to get a 10 000rpm drive but they are too expensive, so the one i picked is a pretty good deal. I could get a smaller capacity drive and raid 2 of them in raid 0, but thats still kinda epensive. And I plan to add in another 7800gt in SLI in a few months when the prices go even lower on those.

Raiding them will give you better performance. I like to try that too. I personally never RAID anything before but from what I read and the theory behind it, it's suppose to give you a nice performance boost in access time. Kind of like dual channel RAM, except it's dual channel hard drive. It treats the two hard drives as one and splits up the data into separate paths speeding it up instead of having all the data cluttered along a single path.

If you do go RAID 0, make sure the two hard drives are exactly the same in size (also preferable if you get them from the same manufacturer too). If you mismatch the size of the hard drive, it will only see the smallest drive on there. The larger drive will have wasted space. I like to RAID two 80GB or 120GB hard drive together. That's what I'm going to do next.

Raptor drives are nice too. Imagine Raiding those two together. But it all adds up to cost.

The hdd im going to get comes in the smallest size of about 160gb ... http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=15304&vpn=WD1600JS&manufacture=Western%20Digital
So i could raid two of those for about 200 or so bucks candian.. that has 8mb cache but the 250gb drive i want has 16mb and its about a 30 dollar difference between the 2... Heres the 250gb.. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=16141&vpn=WD2500KS&manufacture=Western%20Digital
So should I raid the two 160s or just get the 250 and wait a bit and get a 10 000rpm drive and reformat? Thats basically all I have to decide on. And what is NCQ? i noticed these dont have them but the seagate baracuddas do same with the maxtors. These drives are all SATA2 btw. So which company outa the 3 would u go with? And would you spend the extra money for raiding them?

that pc is nice especially with dual core and two gigs of ram that just screems multi tasking and insane gaming right there. and trd wanna buy my rig? lol

Back
Top Bottom