Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-01-2006, 01:30 AM   #1
In Runtime
 
4thgradedropout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 450
Default meida pc

when building a media center pc what spec need to be more stressed...like should i spend more money on more hd capacity rather than processor speed or graphics cards?...how much ram ect.....can you use a media center pc as a cable tv to with a tv tuner?.....im new to this and thought it would be cool to build a cheap one for my room
__________________

__________________
desktop:MB:MSI 890FXA-GD65 AM3 AMD 890FX/AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 95W Quad-Core Processor/8gigs corsair ram/corsair 650w power supply/Sapphire HD 5870 2GB/ 2tb hd space/ 4 120mm case fans
4thgradedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:58 AM   #2
In Runtime
 
AnonymousI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 243
Default Re: meida pc

Basically, any of the windows xp family is suitable for any media center. The only difference between XP MCE (media center edition) and its siblings is its media player. XP MCE is just XP home with a purty edition of windows media player. As for hardware, graphics (NVIDIA is best), sound (Creative Labs are best), and HD space are utmost important. Memory and processor and second most important. However, I suggest 512 MB or more is sufficient and processor speed: 2.0 Ghz or more is good. To get TV, you have to have a good quality tv tuner. With it, you can record live tv (like TiVo). In addition, your sound system needs to be of good quality like Bose, Altec Lansing, etc
__________________

AnonymousI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:06 AM   #3
In Runtime
 
joelbeveridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 187
Default Re: meida pc

Well when it comes to Using Media there are alot of different things you can do. I'm guessing your not just going to be playing and downloading your tunes? You will be recording as well? Lardge Hard drives in a media system are really needed because songs and videos will fill up your computer in no time. So a 200GB Hard drive with SATA will be the way to go. When you talking about a CPU, a simple 2.6-2.8Ghz will do you fine. Having 1 GB RAM is a must. But i think you should buy or download some good music editing software. Hope i helped abit
__________________
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") Control your computer, Dont let it control You!
joelbeveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:58 AM   #4
Daemon Poster
 
allenn812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 935
Default Re: meida pc

I would say the most important things would be the RAM and CPU, since youll most likly have alot of programs running at the same time. So i would get 1gig of RAM or more. And a mid range dual core CPU (id get a conroe).
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Oc'd to 2.9ghz
ECS 570 SLIT Motherboard
2 gig of Corsair ddr2 677
Western Digital 250 Gig HD
Evga 8800GTS 640mb Oc'd to 615/1000
allenn812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
In Runtime
 
shawn_selig29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 454
Send a message via MSN to shawn_selig29
Default Re: meida pc

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenn812
I would say the most important things would be the RAM and CPU, since youll most likly have alot of programs running at the same time. So i would get 1gig of RAM or more. And a mid range dual core CPU (id get a conroe).

yes, i would also get a decnt drive at least 120gb for recording with medai cneter.... and medai cneter is more thne media player... u can watch live tv, record tv, and have guide and other stuff
shawn_selig29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,008
Send a message via AIM to X1337 Send a message via MSN to X1337
Default Re: meida pc

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenn812
I would say the most important things would be the RAM and CPU, since youll most likly have alot of programs running at the same time. So i would get 1gig of RAM or more. And a mid range dual core CPU (id get a conroe).
nah, Conroe is more gaming than anything. I would get AM2 CPU or a Intel Pentium D than just overclock it
X1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:52 AM   #7
In Runtime
 
4thgradedropout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 450
Default Re: meida pc

hey sorry it took me so long to post back college and work is getting crazy. what i plan on doing(it will be a while im just getting ideas) is basicly im going to use it just like a tv. im going to upload all my dvd's so i know ill need a huge hardrive or two. and being able to watch satilite on it whitch i was told that i could due with the right tv tuner. so it will basicly be like a home entertainment center.
__________________
desktop:MB:MSI 890FXA-GD65 AM3 AMD 890FX/AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 95W Quad-Core Processor/8gigs corsair ram/corsair 650w power supply/Sapphire HD 5870 2GB/ 2tb hd space/ 4 120mm case fans
4thgradedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:03 AM   #8
Daemon Poster
 
GlasseyeUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,208
Send a message via MSN to GlasseyeUK
Default Re: meida pc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thgradedropout
when building a media center pc what spec need to be more stressed...like should i spend more money on more hd capacity rather than processor speed or graphics cards?...how much ram ect.....can you use a media center pc as a cable tv to with a tv tuner?.....im new to this and thought it would be cool to build a cheap one for my room
On regards to specs, it does not need a powerful PC to be a good media centre.

I would concentrate on having a large size hard drive, a decent dual layer DVD rom, and then a middle range graphics card.

I would also still go for at least a gig of memory and a reasonable processor, as if you wish to convert movies etc, it can take a while on something a bit slower.

I use a Hauppage PVR 150, which enables me to view SKY (Satelite TV) through my computer, there is a dual tuner version, I think the 500 so you can watch one channel and record another, but you have to remember that you would still need two decoders to watch another satellite channel.

Quote:
Basically, any of the windows xp family is suitable for any media center. The only difference between XP MCE (media center edition) and its siblings is its media player. XP MCE is just XP home with a purty edition of windows media player. As for hardware, graphics (NVIDIA is best), sound (Creative Labs are best), and HD space are utmost important. Memory and processor and second most important. However, I suggest 512 MB or more is sufficient and processor speed: 2.0 Ghz or more is good. To get TV, you have to have a good quality tv tuner. With it, you can record live tv (like TiVo). In addition, your sound system needs to be of good quality like Bose, Altec Lansing, etc
No, XP MCE is not XP home, it is XP Pro, with the additional media components. If you wait till Vista then those components come intergrated already but then you have the system demands that Vista places so you will need to have a relatively decent computer.

If you are running your audio through the media centre, then yes you would need a relatively good soundcard, for 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound, it really depends on what you want to use it for, for example as your central media system or just an option in your bedroom etc.
__________________

__________________
AMD Athlon 64, 2200 (11x200) 3700+,ASRock 939S56-M, SiS 756 AMD Hammer,NVIDIA GeForce 6600LE, 2048(DDR SDRAM), Maxtor 5A300J0 300GB 5400RPM, Ultra ATA/133)

Time tells all, but if the moment in time passes and you miss it, then you will remember it for ever!!
GlasseyeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0