Is it me

Holysky

Fully Optimized
Or did the RAM pricing double since last year?

200 dollars for 8 gigs of ddr2?

I about mine for 80 last year.

That doesn't make sense, why would the older stuff be going up? When new stuff comes out the older stuff is supposed to drop in price.

It's all supply and demand. When DDR RAM was really popular, it was less expensive than the brand new DDR2 RAM. But once DDR2 became mainstream, production of DDR RAM went down, but the demand remained the same. About a year ago, demand and production for DDR2 was really high so the price was average. But DDR3 was jsut starting to come out into the mainstream but production was really low and it was expensive, so prices were like $80 for 2GB (similar to DDR and DDR2 now). Soon, DDR2 will cost close $80 for 2GB because it's no longer as efficiant to make it as it is to make DDR3. There's always hump of low prices. DDR2 is starting to slide off the back side of the low price hump and DDR3 is gradually taking over. Before you know it, 6GB of triple channel DDR3 will be $60 or so and 2GB $30

Market researcher Gartner is making the call: the six-year decline in PC prices will come to an end later this year, so get ready to pay more. The culprit: a shortage of components.

Manufacturers are facing two problems. Problem one: with prices falling (and the economy crashing), manufacturers have been scaling back on production, resulting in a shortage. Problem two: manufacturers are in the process of ramping up new production lines, and aren't yet able to meet current demand.

A perfect example is memory. DRAM manufacturers are shedding DDR2 capacity and adding DDR3 capacity. This results in shortages in both, as DDR2 demands are going unheeded, while DDR3 demands are going unsatisfied. Memory makes up about ten percent of the overall cost of a PC, which makes significant the recent 23 percent jump in DDR3 spot prices.

Also in short supply: LCDs and hard drives, with prices for each expected to jump 20 percent. Optical drives are also getting harder to come by.

OEMs can absorb some of these cost increases, but with margins as thin as they are they can't absorb them all. Some will be passed along to the consumer. How much remains to be seen.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/pc_prices_climb_first_time_6_years

yeah I think memory prices in general have definitely gone up! I just hope ddr 2 sticks around for a while since thats all that my mobo takes!

Back
Top Bottom