maybe I'm just an e-tard...

wol-va-rine

Fully Optimized
but I don't really understand how to find out if my system is stable after overclocking...

is there a program that will quickly tell you if your system is stable...? I read the overclocking thread and someone posted something about running a program for 8 hours to see if your system was really stable, if your system was unstable, wouldn't running a program for 8 hours damage it...?

This is how you tell...

Overclock it. Reboot, does it load up? If not, then it's not stable. if does, then it is. Or, if it boots up, then after a bit, freezes up, or a reboot later on and it won't load, it's unstable.

basically...

if it loads, it's stable, if not, then it's unstable.

it it gets too hot from o'cing then it could blow up and im sure it would then become unstable. do what jenox said but also check the temp of the cpu. google it

I ask this because I have an Intel pentium4 willamette c1 processor and am running it at 1.875 ghz (the default speed is 1.5 ghz)...

the temp stays at around 46 degrees celcius, I want to see if I can get it to 2 ghz, but also want it to be stable...

You should run some stress tests to make sure it's stable. Do the Torture Test on Prime95. Usually if it runs for 24 hours without crashing, it's considered stable.
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

What all did you overclock? Just your CPU, or your RAM or your video card as well? The above test is for your CPU.

Um, and it's not going to blow up. Your system will just shut down if it gets too hot.

wol-va-rine said:
I ask this because I have an Intel pentium4 willamette c1 processor and am running it at 1.875 ghz (the default speed is 1.5 ghz)...

the temp stays at around 46 degrees celcius, I want to see if I can get it to 2 ghz, but also want it to be stable...

Well Pentium 4s are great with heat stability. They can generate a lot of heat, but they can take a lot of heat as well. I OCed my old Pentium4 from 2.8Ghz to an effective 3.4GHz. But then after awhile it became unstable and lowered it down to 3.08Ghz.

I OCed my Athlon 3200+ from 2Ghz to 2.2Ghz, anything beyond that and it becomes unstable. How do i know it's unstable? It doesn't boot. lol. :D

Remember that RAM also plays a huge role in overclocking. Slow RAM won't allow you to OC to full potential. So take that into account as well.

dude_se said:
it it gets too hot from o'cing then it could blow up and im sure it would then become unstable.

Actually most CPUs have an emergency shutdown temp. For my CPU it's 75.0C. His motherboard would tell the CPU to shut down once it reaches the thresh-hold, thus saving the CPU, and once the CMOS is reset, allow him to lower the clock speed or return to default settings to help restore survivability and stability on the CPU.

freestyler105 said:
You should run some stress tests to make sure it's stable. Do the Torture Test on Prime95. Usually if it runs for 24 hours without crashing, it's considered stable.
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

What all did you overclock? Just your CPU, or your RAM or your video card as well? The above test is for your CPU.

Um, and it's not going to blow up. Your system will just shut down if it gets too hot.

the cpu, just takin' baby steps right now...

and that's weird, I never have my computer on for 24 hours, maybe 12-16 hrs some days, but never that long, am I supposed to just keep it on...?

wol-va-rine said:
the cpu, just takin' baby steps right now...

and that's weird, I never have my computer on for 24 hours, maybe 12-16 hrs some days, but never that long, am I supposed to just keep it on...?
Yeah, just to make sure that it is completely stable. This is because the longer it runs, the hotter it's probably going to get. I'd say if you ran it for 16 hours flawlessly though, it's probably stable. Just leave it there, and check on it every few hours to see what's up.

Jenox said:
Well Pentium 4s are great with heat stability. They can generate a lot of heat, but they can take a lot of heat as well. I OCed my old Pentium4 from 2.8Ghz to an effective 3.4GHz. But then after awhile it became unstable and lowered it down to 3.08Ghz.

I OCed my Athlon 3200+ from 2Ghz to 2.2Ghz, anything beyond that and it becomes unstable. How do i know it's unstable? It doesn't boot. lol. :D

Remember that RAM also plays a huge role in overclocking. Slow RAM won't allow you to OC to full potential. So take that into account as well.

Actually most CPUs have an emergency shutdown temp. For my CPU it's 75.0C. His motherboard would tell the CPU to shut down once it reaches the thresh-hold, thus saving the CPU, and once the CMOS is reset, allow him to lower the clock speed or return to default settings to help restore survivability and stability on the CPU.

I have an asus p4b mobo (old, but very overclockable), but yes, I have slow ram, but I'm still trying to get the most out of what I have, also, I have a question, pcwizard tells me I have 256 mb pc133, 128 mb pc133 and 128 mb pc125 for my 3 ram modules...

I have another 128 mb stick of pc100, would that be better suited for my system...? or should I just stick with the pc125, I'm asking because I've never heard of pc125 before, just pc100 and pc133, and it's kinda freakin' me out...

Back
Top Bottom