This may sound stupid (concerning RAM)

lawlonslawt

Baseband Member
How hot is it supposed to get? I just built a system, and I was having trouble with adding 4gigs. I figured out the problem was Vista, and fixed it. But my concern is.. how hot are these sticks supposed to get? While taking them in and out, I realized they were.. pretty damn hot. And is there any way to monitor that?

Btw, I'm using 4 sticks of Crucial Ballistix, each one gig.

Ehh mine feel pretty cool, are you overclocking your ram?

Not sure how to monitor ram temps. But just touching it it feels pretty cool.

I'm not OCing. I would understand, then. But mine are.. like.
Steaming hot.

They cool down easily a little after I turn off the system, but during and RIGHT after use, they're insanely hot.

when i did 4x1 overclocked, the sticks heated up so much that they blue screened. whenever i memtested them in pairs AWAY from each other not in slots next to each other, they passed with flying colors. maybe throw a fan on those sticks or get a cheap 2x2gb kit

Is there any airflow around it? Either there isn't enough air moving around the sticks or you may be running higher voltages to the sticks.

I don't know anything about voltages. I've yet to learn that stuff. What should the voltage be on my RAM?

and I have seven fans, btw. There's no liquid cooling, but I've got a good amount of airflow. That's why I got the Zero case. Airflow and space.

I looked it up, and they are rated to run at 2.2V, which will get your RAM warm, especially with all slots taken. I would either buy a RAM cooler, Antec Spotcool, or find a way to sit a fan over the sticks.

For something DIY, you need to get a bunch of motherboard standoffs (the gold screws that come with your case for motherboard mounting) and put a bunch of them in the holes around the RAM where motherboard screws would go. Then you just get two 80MM fans and slide them over the standoffs and use the motherboard screws to secure it to the standoffs. I'll post a pic if I can find it.

Back
Top Bottom