maxtor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know much about the newer drives, but I have 2 Maxtor older drives that have Windows 98 on each of them. One doesn't even work, and one works fine, but I think I accedentally deleted a startup file or something and it will never startup the first time. Westen Digital older drives are noisy when they first start up, but I don't notice anything after that. I have 3 Seagates and they work fine.

I have a western digital in my old HP, and you can hear it spin up and it's noisy. but my two maxtors click kinda loud, but you can't hear the motors that spin them, they make those to be quiet

Maxtors are by far the best drives. If you buy a new one, make sure you have the quiet drives. They are a series made by Maxtor.

Seagate and Western Digital are perhaps the worst for me based on personal experiences. Seagate probably topping the list on the poorest quality drives out there. I just put in a new 120GB maxtor hard-drive. Sometimes a few bad drives can get onto the shelves (because quality control can't catch everything in the factory line)... but Maxtor has a pretty good reputation at excellent quality control. If you have that bad luck, go in and get a new one. I did that with my previous 80GB which is now the slave drive on my comp.

I've had a bunch of Maxtors get completely corrupted on me. Never plan on getting one again. Western Digital has always made me happy.

my maxtor isn't neccesarily noisy in general, but it does make a click/ker-plunk sound every now and then...haven't had any probs with it though. installed fine and has ran fine ever since (for about a month anyway :p)

Mine sounds like a lawnmower. I actually have to hit to stop it making such a noise.

It depends what series you get. The WD Caviar Edition ones are pretty good. If you want speed, go with the WD Raptor HDD's. OR if you want really fast SCSI drives go with Seagate Cheetah SCSI drives. Seagates are also quiet (they don't need a special "Quiet" series to be quiet...they're all designed to be quiet). Maxtor, undoubtedly, is a very good brand too. It really depends what your needs are.

Seagates are very noisy and unreliable in my opinion.. I don't know why you should even bother with those. But one thing is the Quiet drives for Maxtor isn't a special series.. it is practically the only one they make these days. Maxtor is the best, the most quiet and the fastest (leaving WD in the dust). Seagate.. is just horrible...

I'm using a Seagate myself and it is VERY quiet. The only Maxtor that I like is the SATA II ones with 16mb cache. Western Digital are actually faster than most Maxtors...the 10,000 rpm Raptors in dual RAID 0 are leave any Maxtor in the dust. Seagates aren't horrible. Their SCSI Cheetah drives are way better and faster than anything Maxtor can offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom