Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #11
Fully Optimized

I don't know much about the newer drives, but I have 2 Maxtor older drives that have Windows 98 on each of them. One doesn't even work, and one works fine, but I think I accedentally deleted a startup file or something and it will never startup the first time. Westen Digital older drives are noisy when they first start up, but I don't notice anything after that. I have 3 Seagates and they work fine.

Old 05-22-2005, 07:11 PM   #12
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: maxtor

I have a western digital in my old HP, and you can hear it spin up and it's noisy. but my two maxtors click kinda loud, but you can't hear the motors that spin them, they make those to be quiet

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Old 05-22-2005, 08:48 PM   #13
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Giancarlo

Maxtors are by far the best drives. If you buy a new one, make sure you have the quiet drives. They are a series made by Maxtor.

Seagate and Western Digital are perhaps the worst for me based on personal experiences. Seagate probably topping the list on the poorest quality drives out there. I just put in a new 120GB maxtor hard-drive. Sometimes a few bad drives can get onto the shelves (because quality control can't catch everything in the factory line)... but Maxtor has a pretty good reputation at excellent quality control. If you have that bad luck, go in and get a new one. I did that with my previous 80GB which is now the slave drive on my comp.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:10 AM   #14
BSOD

I've had a bunch of Maxtors get completely corrupted on me. Never plan on getting one again. Western Digital has always made me happy.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:38 PM   #15
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to rat_boy_100 Send a message via Yahoo to rat_boy_100

my maxtor isn't neccesarily noisy in general, but it does make a click/ker-plunk sound every now and then...haven't had any probs with it though. installed fine and has ran fine ever since (for about a month anyway :P)
Maxtor Plus 80gb 7200rpm
Ati Radeon 9600xt 256mb
Old 05-23-2005, 01:56 PM   #16
Fully Optimized

Mine sounds like a lawnmower. I actually have to hit to stop it making such a noise.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:21 PM   #17
BSOD

Get the quiet drive series... besides Western digitals are more noisy based on my own experience...
Old 05-23-2005, 05:51 PM   #18
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

It depends what series you get. The WD Caviar Edition ones are pretty good. If you want speed, go with the WD Raptor HDD's. OR if you want really fast SCSI drives go with Seagate Cheetah SCSI drives. Seagates are also quiet (they don't need a special "Quiet" series to be quiet...they're all designed to be quiet). Maxtor, undoubtedly, is a very good brand too. It really depends what your needs are.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:55 PM   #19
BSOD

Seagates are very noisy and unreliable in my opinion.. I don't know why you should even bother with those. But one thing is the Quiet drives for Maxtor isn't a special series.. it is practically the only one they make these days. Maxtor is the best, the most quiet and the fastest (leaving WD in the dust). Seagate.. is just horrible...
Old 05-24-2005, 05:14 PM   #20
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

I'm using a Seagate myself and it is VERY quiet. The only Maxtor that I like is the SATA II ones with 16mb cache. Western Digital are actually faster than most Maxtors...the 10,000 rpm Raptors in dual RAID 0 are leave any Maxtor in the dust. Seagates aren't horrible. Their SCSI Cheetah drives are way better and faster than anything Maxtor can offer.

Closed Thread