maxtor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Maxtors are known for noisy drives. THat is according to some people here on the forums and from experience with friends having Maxtor drives. I actually called up MAxtor to see what they said about the drive before and they told me that it was normal and part of the hard drives seek process. Whoopy. You should try Western Digital. I have their SATA drive and it is soo quiet. Then again, my fans are probably covering up the noise, lol.

clicking...

Drives will make some sounds as they operate.
Clicking can be a sign of a problem if it's a newer drive. Older drives made all kinds of noise and it was normal.
Could you post back the model and size of the drive and how old it is.
It might be prudent to back up what is important to you off that drive just to be safe.

hi dudes i havent had it a week but a engineer fited it and i cant get in the comp but on my computer it reads as a maxor 6y080lo

I have 2 maxtors and yes they do make a noise even if they are new and yes maxtor are renound for noisy drives but i must admit i have to really listen hard sometimes to hear them.to be honest the new drive makes more noise than the old one. but as long as they perform well who cares about a little click here and there.

i have one of them drivers, not a sound ... my PSU fan is too loud :)

There make excellent drives no problems YET !!!

Well there you have it...

I'm not a happy Maxtor user. I've had two 80giggers crap in less than a week each. Seems they had a bad lot get out. But since then I just don't trust them.
But from the other posts in this thread it appears they got it straighten out. But as a rule do make regular back ups. No drive is really safe...

thats always i good plan but its hard to back 20+gig of data unless you buy another HDD and image the data across

For years I have used ghost to clone hdd to hdd as a backup at least once a week. To simplify it I installed 2 hdd caddy trays and I can swap the hdd's from IDE 0 to IDE 1 in seconds. This has saved me many hours and much grief when the sh*t hits the fan and it all goes away.
Just an additional note. I have found Western Digital to be more reliable. My 2 cents.

Seagate for me. They're reliable and quiet. I haven't had any problems with my 120gb HDD that I've been using for over a year :) Western Digital are known for their sheer speed (especially the Raptors), but tend to heat up more than other brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom