Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-07-2005, 06:32 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to CarpeNoctem Send a message via MSN to CarpeNoctem
Default Mass Corruption

Lately I have been having a problem with corruption (that's what I think it is). It all started when I backed up all my media on a friends HDD and my brothers laptop. When I transfered all of my files over to my HDD, the ones that came from my bros ended up what I think is corruption.

Then about a month later (three days ago) every program on the C: wouldnt open and a popup said it was corrupted. I wanted to take a screenshot but paint wouldnt open, lol. (It would have been funny if I did becaus it said explorer.exe was corrupted). This happened when I was downloading from Direct Connect hubs with StrongDC++ (not an official client, banned by some hubs)

Well after that happened I rebooted and windows wouldn't load, so I decided to do a fresh install. Then I used StrongDC++ two days later and the same thing happened. So I reformated and reinstalled windows. (I tried everything I know to repair but nothing worked)

Then today I downloaded some stuff from Direct Connect hubs with the official DC++ client. Last night when I checked the files out they opened fine, but when I got up this morning they have been replaced with symbols and I get this error: "...refers to a location that is unavailable..." (This is the same thing that happened months ago with the files that were backed up on the laptop)

Before this happened, there were only a few folders and about 20-30 jpg's

I am pretty puzzled about this, what ideas does everyone have about what could be causing this/how to fix it. The first and second time my computer crashed I was downloading Chobits anime sessions from StrongDC++. Then yesterday I was downloading Chobits manga on the official DC++ client.

*edit*
One more thing, I can't delete these folders and files. It gives me an error: "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from source file or disk"

Start using reputation points!!!
CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:37 PM   #2
Solid State Member

Default Re: Mass Corruption

I feel ur pain, but i hav no solution
Go in to safe mode, see what happens
if that doesnt work, then u hav to format

deville_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to CarpeNoctem Send a message via MSN to CarpeNoctem
Default Re: Mass Corruption

Right now it's just the one folder that is corrupted. Everything else works fine, if I sit and wait all of odd folders and files will go away. Now, when my entire C: got corrupted, it wouldnt run in safe mode.

Start using reputation points!!!
CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote