Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-17-2005, 07:22 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default making my computer run faster?

Hi, my second post.. these forums seem pretty helpful :P Lets see if anyone can help me out.

I run an amd athlon 3000 xp (+2167 mhz)
L2 cache is 512kb (not too sure on this?)
memory 512mb
the graphics i run currently is geforce fx 5200
Im also running windows xp (home)
Motherboard is k7s8x

Im thinking of starting a web design comp with a mate of mine that codes, its just when i bought this system i actually bought it to play games (which it does great), but i dont play many games anymore..

Although im not much of a newb when it comes to computers, i dont know how to clock, making the chip for my athlon run faster (probably requires experience).. Im more a software type person .. i suppose its obvious i need more memory? its just the brand to use & what will fit into my motherboard.. could someone please point me in the right direction. All it is i need more speed for applications such as Photoshop/dreamweaver to run faster on my system, when they load or when i edit large files they slow my computer down a lot see is there any good software which can almost make my computer as fast as when i install it?

Also i was thinking of gettin a bigger hardrive - mines currently 60, i'd love an external but there too dear i've heard? Im thinkin maybe 120 what would that set me back do you think?

so.. links & prices for things to buy to speed up my computer would be a great help!!! People that run systems with the applications mentioned above, please could they recommend what i should upgrade or add?

Thanks for takin the time to read my post.. Look forward to your replies..

Danbhn

danbeherenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 07:32 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: making my computer run faster?

Your motherboard is an ASRock? How fast is your memory running? Are you using DDR400, DDR333, or DDR266?

If you are running DDR400, your motherboard can only support of a maximum of 1 GB of RAM which I recommend. I suggest using Corsair XMS 1GB RAM from www.newegg.com.

If you are thinking of overclocking this board, it does provide a wide range of FSB up to 248Mhz. Although you have this large range of fsb, this board does not come with an option for FIX PCI/AGP. It dose not come with Multiplier control, ram timing option and voltage tweaking (vcore, vdimm).

Old 04-17-2005, 07:57 PM   #3
Golden Master

If using other speeds, you need to run 2 (1GB stick)DDR333 Max at 2GB and 3 (1GB stick) DDR266 Maxing at 3GB
Old 04-17-2005, 08:04 PM   #4
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Duzz Send a message via MSN to Duzz Send a message via Yahoo to Duzz

Whats slow on it? loading or what. Get a raptor HDD..... and More Ram either the corsair ram as suggested or ballstix at least 1gig ram
Old 04-17-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
Golden Master

or get an upgrade CPU and overclock that:

Model: AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Core: Barton
Operating Frequency: 2.2GHz
FSB: 400MHz
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/512K
Voltage: 1.65V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket A

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-390&depa=1

I'm not even sure how much difference that will make for the price.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:23 PM   #6
Golden Master

That Raptor drive won't work on his motherboard because his chipset doesn't support it.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:37 PM   #7
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Duzz Send a message via MSN to Duzz Send a message via Yahoo to Duzz

Oh ok he can purchase a 50$ pci card for it.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:40 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

ok i understood most of what TRDCorolla said but the FSB part, whats it stand for? i presume it has something to do with overclocking the CPU?

-The real criminals are the ones who dont get caught...
-The soldier, above all else prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must bear the wounds and scars of war.
Assassin_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 11:22 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

FSB stands for Front Side Bus, and when you raise it, it speeds up the processor. And the 3000+ isnt that great of an oc'er either. (I would know cuz i have one) Go get yourself a Mobile 2600+ or 2500+
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:18 AM   #10
Solid State Member

Great lads cheers for the responce(s) i didnt think id get that many :P

I'll look into gettin more ram from newegg.com

Could i ask, is there a program i could download & install which finds out the data you need to know.. that way i can either take a screenshot of what the program tells me i have or just type it up into the thread.. please let me know..

I did use tune up utils 2004 but it doesnt tell me anythin my computer has.. Im sorry for the late reply, im from the UK see

Cheers again
Danbhn

danbeherenow is offline   Reply With Quote