Making a computer, can't get to BIOS

JimHa

Baseband Member
Hey everyone I've been browsing the forum for a while and was impressed but never registered. Now I'm having a problem and thought I'd bring it to you guys at the forums.

My problem is that I've been making this computer for about a week now and whenever I start it up I can't get a beep or go into the BIOS. What reasons could this be? Here's some stats for you guys :

-Asus A7V8X-X Mobo
-AMD Athlon XP 2500 processor
-DDR 400 MHZ 256MB RAM
-Western Digital 80GB HDD with jumper settings set at master.(no jumper)
-older CD-ROM ... 24X Creative taken from my old computer. Jumper set at master

Is anything wrong by chance. I haven't touched any jumpers on the motherboard itself yet.

My other question is what hardware issues can be happening for the comptuer to not pass its POST ? If anyone needs more information then please ask.

Thank you -James

Make sure that everything is in and that the ram is firmly in place. I think its o.k to set the jumper to master but some one else might be able to back me up not 100% sure.
The reasion your not actually getting a beep is that there is something not connected propally. What video card have you got or is it onboard.

If the CD is on a different IDE Lead then its ok, if not then put it to Secondary.

I can't see anything wrong - bit weird? Do you know everything works? Did you check the motherboard before you set it all up, just powering it up on a a anti-static surface or something and making sure it beeps?

There's power to the mobo, I get the LED to turn on that shows power is flowing to the board. My only problem is getting it to beep. My CD-ROM is on a different ribbon cable and is set at master since that's what the device tells me to put it at for master.

Does anyone have ANY ideas??? I already sent the board back once thinking it was a bad board. This is really starting to piss me off and I can't return any of this stuff since I got most of the stuff at a computer show 2 months ago... no receipts :(

EDIT: Just took another look and saw that my hard drive is a "Enhanced IDE device" my board IDE specifications are as follows (from the manual):

IDE: 2X Ultra DMA 133/100/66

This is written on my HDD: Enhanced IDE hard drive 80GB

Is this a problem ???

Try this

You have no reason to go to the bios yet.Put in a Windows System disk,say no to cdrom and Fdisk the Hdrive,restart and say no to cdrom then Format it,call it My PC etc.and install Windows.Easy.
Why are you doing this on your limited experience ?
:confused:

He can't do that cause from experance the beep mean some hardware is not connected so the computer won't even start anything it will just turn on it won't even try and boot stuff from disk. Just check every thing over to see if some thing is wrong like graphics isn't in properly some times it can be a really little thing. I can imagen your pissed off i would be too.

GeforcebOY said:
He can't do that cause from experance the beep mean some hardware is not connected so the computer won't even start anything it will just turn on it won't even try and boot stuff from disk. Just check every thing over to see if some thing is wrong like graphics isn't in properly some times it can be a really little thing. I can imagen your pissed off i would be too.

About the video card... my video card has 3 slots that go into the VGA port compared to the 2 slots on my 2x/4x/8x AGP port. My boards manual says it can handle 2x/4x/8x and my video card is an 8x ... is this a problem??? I've made computers before but I've never even looked, I've never even had these problems.

LordKalthon said:
If the CD is on a different IDE Lead then its ok, if not then put it to Secondary.

I can't see anything wrong - bit weird? Do you know everything works? Did you check the motherboard before you set it all up, just powering it up on a a anti-static surface or something and making sure it beeps?

I woek up hella early to work on the computer. This morning I tried powering up only the board and I still got no beep. Just for reference this morning I tried an old laptop that doesn't work anymore(HDD problem, haven't got around to working on it yet) and it doesn't make a beep but you can still see something on the screen when it turns on, shouldn't this happen for me? So far I'm thinking that the video card is the problem.

JimHa said:
Hey everyone I've been browsing the forum for a while and was impressed but never registered. Now I'm having a problem and thought I'd bring it to you guys at the forums.

My problem is that I've been making this computer for about a week now and whenever I start it up I can't get a beep or go into the BIOS. What reasons could this be? Here's some stats for you guys :

-Asus A7V8X-X Mobo
-AMD Athlon XP 2500 processor
-DDR 400 MHZ 256MB RAM
-Western Digital 80GB HDD with jumper settings set at master.(no jumper)
-older CD-ROM ... 24X Creative taken from my old computer. Jumper set at master

Is anything wrong by chance. I haven't touched any jumpers on the motherboard itself yet.

My other question is what hardware issues can be happening for the comptuer to not pass its POST ? If anyone needs more information then please ask.

Thank you -James
=======
Lets start over,
Do you have 1 or 2 ide cables> You need 2 to have 2 Masters.If your cdrom is in the middle of only 1,make it slave.
Why do you think you need a beep? Beeps are bad news.
If all this is brand new then you need to prepare the HD.
Maybe newer ones come ready,but it probably need formating.
You need a startup disk,what Windows will you use ?
You need more advice on building a computer from scratch.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Just for fun,what are you getting here with.
:D

Back
Top Bottom