Making computer from barebones, need opinion.

rpgfan

Beta member
I am putting together a computer from barebones. While I have experience in putting and taking apart computers, I have next to no idea what hardware I need for what I want. I want a good gaming computer that can play newly released games without lag. I'm also interested in new emulation. (NGC, PS2, XBX) I also want it to last at least 2 years before the motherboard/processor it needs to be upgraded/sold/replaced. I don't mind if the video card/ram goes obsolete, because those can be replace easily. The harddrive is just a starter one, I plan to get a higher capacity one down the road. So, these were the parts I was going to use:

Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q6600 2.4Ghz CUSTOM BAREBONES
VM nVidia GeForce 9800GTX 512MB PCI-Express VideoCard
1 NEW OCZ 2GB 2x1GB DDR2 PC2 8500 1066MHz SLI Ready RAM
New IBM 39M0142 39M3701 80GB SATA2 7200RPM HARD DRIVE
SAMSUNG SH-S223F/BEBE BLACK 22X DVD+/-RW SATA BURNER

I think you have a solid system to start with. I agree that later on down the road, you should upgrade the hard drive, especially because of the large HD requirements for most of these games. I also like that case design...doesn't over-power you with neon lights...more subtle.

that build looks pretty sweet there...your making your pc from barebones? I didn't know you could put bones in a rig...lol haha nice build :D

Go with 2x2GB of DDR2 800, you won't need the 1066 for the Q6600, and 2 extra gigs will be a bigger improvement.

And look for a HD 4850 over the 9800GTX if you can. It is faster for around the same price.

Back
Top Bottom