Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #21
In Runtime

Default Re: Making a computer.

The word VERY LARGE reminds me of the EDSAC. Sigh...

Anyways, I am going to buy the CPU, so skip the design talk, please

ohm55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #22
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohm55 View Post
Wasnt the first Apple computer made by a bunch of college dropouts?
Anyways, Im not doing this alone.
And Like I said, I know the things I am about to encounter.
alright. well one thing is certain: you cannot hand make any of the parts, maybe with the exception of the case.

even wozniak and jobs contacted manufactuers to produce their apple computer kits

OCZ 550 Watt Modular|Intel E7300 Core 2 Duo @ 2.66ghz|Gigabyte EP45UD3R|4 GB Corsair 800 DDR2|Geforce 8800 GTX|Seagate 250GB 7200RPM SATA|Samsung 160GB 7200RPM SATA|120 GB External WD Passport HD|Microsoft 3 Button Optical Mouse|Lite-On 2 Tone Standard Keyboard|ViewSonic 22in Wide Screen|Logitec x-540|Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
allendale2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #23
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by allendale2008 View Post
alright. well one thing is certain: you cannot hand make any of the parts, maybe with the exception of the case.

even wozniak and jobs contacted manufactuers to produce their apple computer kits
I cant? and how can you be right 100%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post
RAM is probably not too difficult. Solder on the NAND chips to a silicon stick then map your interface.
Your right. Ram is probably the easiest.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #24
Fully Optimized

Unless we're talking about scaling so large that a transistor is the size of a fingernail (slight exaggeration).

Found a little something that might give you some insight or ideas on how you'll make each part. Not sure where you can get bare PCB for doing this. I imagine they are only sold in bulk.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1722
Old 02-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #25
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post
Unless we're talking about scaling so large that a transistor is the size of a fingernail (slight exaggeration).
yeesh, a fingernail? Its not huge, but thats still big.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #26
Daemon Poster

sorry bub, but i think you are asking the wrong crowd

the degree of difficulty is so great that people who actually do have decades of experience and school
OCZ 550 Watt Modular|Intel E7300 Core 2 Duo @ 2.66ghz|Gigabyte EP45UD3R|4 GB Corsair 800 DDR2|Geforce 8800 GTX|Seagate 250GB 7200RPM SATA|Samsung 160GB 7200RPM SATA|120 GB External WD Passport HD|Microsoft 3 Button Optical Mouse|Lite-On 2 Tone Standard Keyboard|ViewSonic 22in Wide Screen|Logitec x-540|Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Old 02-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #27
In Runtime

Quote:
sorry bub, but i think you are asking the wrong crowd

the degree of difficulty is so great that people who actually do have decades of experience and school
So you have absolutely no hope for me? Your acting like I have never seen a wire in my life. I have been working with electronics, and not those basic tech ed light-up wooden figures. I mean PDA electronics, I mean making a robot, I mean fixing faults in a motherboards wiring. and all without going to college.

I think with some time, I could do this.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:43 PM   #28
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohm55 View Post
So you have absolutely no hope for me? Your acting like I have never seen a wire in my life. I have been working with electronics, and not those basic tech ed light-up wooden figures. I mean PDA electronics, I mean making a robot, I mean fixing faults in a motherboards wiring. and all without going to college.

I think with some time, I could do this.
good luck then man. You have more knowledge than me, can't help ya
Old 02-13-2010, 11:45 PM   #29
In Runtime

Quote:
good luck then man. You have more knowledge than me, can't help ya
Actually, you seem more knowledgeable. I mean, I am not even in high school yet (no, I am not 12, or 11, or anything below that). You pointed out everything I need to know. Thank you

Coquitlam has a different grade level >> grade 9 isnt even high school

Also, I am thinking right now on a name and casing design. I dont care about modern or anything.
Plus, the OS is boggling me too.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #30
Fully Optimized

oh of course. But I think everyone has the idea of a computer like we use. My understanding here is that what you will have assembled after all this labor will most not likely be running a copy of windows and playing Crysis, lol.

I have an understanding of what you are looking to do and I do believe it is possible, but the problem I forsee is obtaining resources. In such a mass-production market, how does one obtain a single unit of a necessary item? A printed circuit board, for instance. It's impossible to layer your own wafers without a machine.

On the other hand. Before there were machines to make machines, who built the first. It had to be possible. What the first handbuilt was, I'm not sure. Do a bit of googling and see what you can come up with on the first hand built comp and moreover, how it was done and if any blueprints were salvaged or digi-copied.