Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Making a change to my system.

well, as it stands, ive two OSs on my main rig, XP and 7. Since i use Win7 almost exclusively now, it seems a bit of a waste of disk space having an OS i rarely use taking up a 20GB chunk of my 40GB OS disk.

Now, ive had problems like this before, when 'Unallocated' space is on the left of the partition i want to extend, it doesnt let me, and my XP partition is on the left of my Win7 partition.

if i delete the XP partition after ive transferred my data to my external, will Win7's DISKPART or Compmgr MMC let me extend the Win7 partition?

cheers.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Making a change to my system.

I would use Easeus:

Best FREE Partition Manager Freeware for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 32 bit & 64 bit. EASEUS free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

GParted:

GParted -- About

or, if you are willing to pay, Acronis.

They are all better than the Windows ones and can do everything that you need it to

Primary::: Asus M4A79XTD EVO | AMD Phenom II x3 720BE @ 3.4GHz | 2 x 2GB Corsair 1600MHz | XFX HD5770 + eVGA GTX260 Physx | 500GB Samsung F3 + 520GB Storage | Corsair Obsidian 700D | Win 7 Ultimate x64
Secondary::: Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus | Intel Q6600 | 2 x 1GB Corsair 800MHz | Gigabyte 9800GT | 180GB Caviar Blue + 250GB Storage | Win 7 Ultimate x64
Aastii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

ah, another quesiton.

my XP partition is marked as Active so it wont let me delete this.

how to i get around this without messing up the MBR among other things?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

I'm not 100% on this but any time I've needed to repartion my hard drive I've successfully used GParted. I don't know what it will do though if there is an active partition (as I've only ever resized or moved partions before). Just a warning, GParted can take hours to do what it needs to.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote