Making a backup HDD

Dishdog

Fully Optimized
I want to buy a second HDD just to backup my files. I don't want to just make backup of some files. i want a exact copy of my master HDD. so my question is, if i highlight everything in the master HDD and it copy it to the slave drive will it work? If no, how would i do this?

It would be better to:
1) use the windows transfer wizard
start>programs>accessaries>system tools> files and
settings transfer wizard
2) all new harddrives usually come with a set up program that will allow you to transfer all the files from 1 hdd to another
3) learn how to make ISO images on the regular basis
4)get a back-up utillity to make regular back-ups
google for them

Or...

Or you could use norton ghost. This will copy verbatim the master drive to the back up drive. The Days Inn I used to manage got updates for the reservation system from corperate office using ghost. It was a ghosted copy of a system in Jersey. Worked great. Quick. If a big outfit like that uses it then it must be good.

Yep Setishock is right, it would make an exact copy, up to even the smallest nanometer of data, hehe.

You have to buy the program, but after its done, it'l automatically restart in Dos, and you select the drive to backup.
You can then simply decide where you want the backup to be placed, for instance on the second HD, in which you can then use Ghost again to un-compress the files back so you have a duplicate drive.

This program is included with Norton System Works, which includes hard drive tools, and Norton Antivirus :)

If you mean lurkswithin's reply. It would work, but would be a very lenghy process to copy and then restore back.

Using Norton Ghost will make this a fast and effective process you can do rather easily.

If you had an option to run RAID on your PC, and both hard drives were the same, you could turn this on (though I'm afraid I don't know how). I've heard this acts as the same drive. As soon as you copy something to one, it would write to the other. At least, I think it would.

Back
Top Bottom