Major hardware issues...help direly needed.

Skankingnerd

Solid State Member
note: this is rather long but i am at a complete loss of what to do, please read through and give me suggestions! thank you.

I'm on my 4th motherboard because of this darn problem so any input is going to be greatly appreciated..i originally purchased an asus a8n sli deluxe motherboard, an evga 6800gs, an amd 64 3200+, and an antec truepower II 430 watt psu, and a WD 80gig harddrive, and i'm using two cd drives i took from my old dell.. The problem with the 3 asus boards i went through was that i would install the OS and then get to the point where i'd go to install the graphics drivers and other necessary drivers and after i would install the graphics drivers i would do the normal restart and all of the sudden my monitor would lose signal, the cd drives would not open, and nothing was working...the fans and fan lights and everything would come on and the harddrive activity light would be frozen in that being accessed constant light but i couldn't do anything. The first time i installed the new stuff i didn't even get the OS on before it did this, but the second two times it occurred right after i installed the graphics drivers...So, getting fed up thinking it was just asus i went and bought an MSI k8n-neo4 platnium motherboard and installed it and all the updates and drivers etc and it worked GREAT, every game ran smooth and butter and beautiful and i was at the windows login screen in under 20 seconds on start up...but 20 days exactly after everything had been installed the SAME exact thing happened, signal loss to monitor and drives not opening and all that horrible stuff. Now i am at the point to where i do not know what it is...i called msi and their guess was it was the graphics card...or maybe the PSU. so my idea was to send in ALL my parts saying they were all faulty and hopefully fix it all in one go. But, after i put in my old parts i had corecenter up and it was kicking up an alarm saying my psu was putting in too many volts, i was about .3 volts too high in two areas...could this be the cause of all my problems? would that .3 volts cause this? and could it possibly happen at different times depending on the motherboard??? any help and suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated..

sorry for the length..thank you to those who read it all the way through.

Can you post all the specs of the hardware in your computer and also drivers and software that you are using... Also it is important to know what kind of power supply you are usiing and what settings you have it on.

You had 3 different motherboards before and now on the fourth one. It's leading me to believe that it is not related to the motherboard at all. The fact that your drives aren't getting power (because the tray won't open) is a sign that it may be a power issue. Any chance of swapping the PSU out?

Right now i'm using my old pc parts, i haven't received the replacement msi board from pc club quite yet. But i am using an Antec Truepower 2.0 430 psu and i haven't touched any of the settings, so default...the only other psu i have is some cruddy one that came with the aspire case i got...300watt i believe? 350 tops.

also i'll just post the specs i had when the stuff was going on...as my current stuff wont' be of help obviously.

MSI K8n Neo4 Platnium mobo
AMD 64 3200+ processor
512mb corsair value ddr 3200
Evga 6800gs pci-e graphics card
Antec truepower 2.0 430 watt psu
wd 80 gig 7200rpm 8mb buffer hd
windows xp with sp2 and all other windows updates
and other than that it was mainly games such as bf2 and cod2 and programs like microsoft office 2006 etc...
i was using the most recent nvidia drivers and the default bios that came on the motherboard.

any other info needed that could help?

Well, it's your PSU. We can tell it's the PSU because FOUR motherboards are all having the same problem, and not to mention from two different manufacturers. Buy a better power supply. I guarntee you it's a faulty PSU. :)

Any fluctuation in power can be harmful to a PC, even the .3 volts. I would try a different power supply, and try a different graphics card for a while, and see if you ahve the same problem. Is this PC plugged into a surge strip or UPS? If so, try a different one. You may even want to go as far as changing outlets completely- there is a such thing as dirty electricity- which can be bad for your computer. This is common in older houses.

might not necessairly be the psu, cuz he did say the computer turns on and he is able to install windows halfway...

i was able to get windows installed 100%, only with the first asus was i not able to get it on at all.. but the problems occurred after i installed the graphics drivers..which kind of leads me to think it may be the graphics card. but then i noticed the .3v differences from what they should be and then that made me wonder. sadly i would try and different graphics card but i'm the only one of my friends who's gone into pci-e. i'm definitely getting a new psu, but do you guys think i should still send in my graphics card to evga and have them send me another?

Back
Top Bottom