Machine Language

Sorry, but I don't get what you mean. Hah, are they going to change their name? I don't have AOL (thank goodness), so I wouldn't know.

hehe of course computers still use it. Every time you press a key on teh keyboard it sends 8 bits of information to the PC. these 8 bits equal a byte.
The computer uses this form of information in circuits too, and it's binary, and so digital.

Digital has 2 states = 1 and 0.
If it was analogue for example, it'd have many states. But the computer works in the way it does (and can also proove why we cannot have true AI) because it is still using data 2 states in circitry and in coding for itself.

To say google, thats if it was typed, you'd have to use 6 sets of 8 bits, so 6 bytes to write it in memory.

Google would be:

G = 01000111, (no caps) o = 01101111, o = 01101111, g = 01100111, l = 01101100, e = 01100101.

This is what the computer stores everytime you'd type that into the keyboard.

edit : You'd also have to count spaces which would be 8 0's

Hope this helps

p.s This whole post for example would have (up to here) 848 bits or 106 bytes. You start to see how word documents gain in size as you keep typing. 1024 bytes of this information would equal 1 Megabyte! :)

Of course it is still used; BIOS stands for binary input output system. And as Kage describes there is a binary conversion to bytes which are in turn is converted in hexadecimal where we have a counting system not based on ten but on 16; 0 to 9 then A B C D E F. If you go in your registry editor, all the keys are in labeled using the hexadecimal system which is the same used in machine language. Took machine language course back in the late 70's on a Motorola Z80... some operations have specific hexadecimal function.

Woh Zero4Zero...thats something I didn't know. I knew hexidecimal was used somewhere,b ut didn't know it was like that. Thanks for that :)

Of course it is still used; BIOS stands for binary input output system.

No. BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System.

But yes, everything we do is binary. Computers are made to read binary. This is why we still use megabytes, gigabytes, etc. Eventually we'll get into terrabytes.

Back
Top Bottom