Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-19-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
BSOD

Default Mac vs. Windows

I know this question must have been asnwered 100000+ times before, but for some reason i cant find it anywhere. I am an experienced windows user, and have no experience whatsoever with mac. After all of my years playing with windows i ahve finally come to the conclusion that bill gates can kiss my a$$. I heard that mac's were more stable and less prone to attack and thats about it. I went shopping around for a ibook, and their pretty expensive and according to the specs, arent very powerfull for the price. Will someone please explain to me in detail, why i would rather have a 1.2 ghz ibook, over a 2.5 ghz pc for the same price. Please tell me why mac is supposetly better than windows. Thank you.

playaj20008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 11:12 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Mac vs. Windows

In my experience macs work better for office/buisness use. i havn't used a mac in a couple of years though.

GPU-MSI GeForce 6600 GT(PCI Express)~~Monitor Viewsonic VA902B 19" 8ms~~ ATI TV Wonder Pro (TV Tuner)
~~Still to come~~: eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GT
Dishdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117

I wouldn't get a mac. Just because 1 the PRICE IS CRAZY! 2 a lot of things dont' support it.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:19 PM   #4
Dan
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Dan Send a message via MSN to Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Dan

I love macs.. I've got an iBook G3 500MHz that I love like a girlfriend.. and i use to have an iMac G3.. but sold it on eBay for vacation money.
40GB HDD - 80GB WD HDD
Creative Sound - CD-Rw/DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 11:36 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to BigLu

Macs are very very nice, but come at a great price, lots and lots of moolah.
BigLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 11:56 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

I'm not a mac person. never have been, never will be. Windows all the way.
crazyman143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:43 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

i love big macs mmmmmmmm.
woz
Old 07-20-2005, 03:02 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

lot of businesses like Mac because they believe it is safer and more stable than windows and they have more control over the misuse from employees.
The safety issues derive from the fact that there was less Mac owners and thus the viruses and worms were designed with windows in mind, but that has begun to change as there have been reports of worm attacks in the Mac systems now.
The stability issue is a kind of related issue to the security. Being that windows xp and xp pro are the most stabalist operating system built, as all OS have issues....windows was more used and in such was more abused by it's own users that it was unjustifiably clasified as unstable. Add that to the security issues and it was compounded. In truth the windows users were/are costantly downloading incompatable programs and then tweaking the registry and then claiming foul when the system went down, when in fact it was mostly brought on by their own misuse.
At the same time there were less gaming and programs and tweaks that could be performed on macs thus less down time and they gained the reputation of being more stable. But all that is changing now and macs have just as much down time and in such is loosing that place in the market and you are now seeing the retail pricing dropping and more advertiseing and the likes so that macs can compete more in the open market.
lurkswithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:11 AM   #9
Baseband Member

I have had a few Macs. First, if you want a game, expect to spend twice as much on it then you would if you buy the PC version. I just went and bought CoD for 19.99$, and the MAC version is still 49.99$
Also, I had some crashing problems, before the system was even hooked up to the internet. All in all, I am alot more satisfied with anything besides a Mac.
DelTASteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:53 AM   #10
BSOD

Hi, NONE of you have answered my question. I know macs are more stable, but i also know that they are alot less powerfull. The highest you can get an ibook is 1.33 ghz. To me, a windows user, that seems minimal. Is 1.33 ghz different on a mac that on a pc?

playaj20008 is offline   Reply With Quote