m.2 vs SSD

ale101

Baseband Member
Hey Guys,

Was just wondering could someone explain why the m.2 drives cost the same price as a regular ssd? Also im creating a new build and was wondering which way to go?

Ok maybe you can help clear this up too.. The plextor pCI-e says you can remove the m.2 and use it that way....But isnt the PCI-e also known as sata express which is fast then m.2

Sata Express is a new standard supported on the new Z97.
So you will have to have a motherboard with that chipset in order for it to work.
So no. SATA Express is not also known as PCI-E.

Last edited:
i have a z97 board when are sata express drives entering the market? Thanks for the replies! So m.2 can be used on a laptop that supports mSATA? z97 boards support m.2 i thought m.2 and mSATA are two different technologies

i was mistaken. My knowledge is not update in that area.
I have looked into it.

Forget what i said about mSATA. as you can see i have edited my last post.

m.2 is a connection you rarely find on motherboards... as of today. If you don't have a connector like that you can use the PCI-E card that follows. The PCI-E card's job is only to convert the connection to PCI-E.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

YOu can see on this picture the m.2 connector to the right.
If you have this, you can install it without that PCI-E card that only takes up space

z97-ranger-3-1280x1024.jpg

Back
Top Bottom